Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Models/CVM1790SS1SS handle R&R

stevewaclo

Hello all!

This link:

http://www.partselect.com/Models/CVM1790SS1SS/Sections/DOOR-PARTS/?ModelID=1920863&Mode

Shows a diagram of the door assembly for the subject GE Microwave.

I'm attempting to replace the handle, which is plastic and the "stainless" coating is peeling. The large trim surround on the back of the door popped out easily and the only exposed Phillips screws (4) have been removed, but the next large surround part still won't move :(.

What am I missing?

Don't make me get out my pry bar! :angry:

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewaclo

• abaesemann

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like it is snapped in, needs finesse, putty knife and small screwdrivers.

Correctamundo, abasemann!

Upon closer examination, I found numerous snap-in tabs and although those on top may be released by bending up that segment, all the others look to be PIA's and may require another set of hands.

Thanks for your input!

Over a dozen slips of shoe-box cardboard, inserted above each small tab, release the front panel from the metal frame of the door glass assembly. Some of the tabs can be moved by finger pressure to insert the cardboard (the top row) but others need to be individually pried clear and cardboard pushed in. The door/handle outer assembly comes loose at the hinge side first and then must be lifted slightly to release on the handle end.

Wo-Wooo!

A reminder on why this exercise was necessary.

The original handle sits directly above the largest burner on the matching GE oven below, and heat causes the "stainless" trim on the handle to de-laminate. A GE replacement is $75 plus shipping. I found a 1' section of 1" brushed stainless tubing on line and with a bit of cutting and adjustment, it should work fine.

TA-daaa!

Not a job for anyone but retired guys like me who value their time at about $2/hr. 

Next time will be much easier :lol:!

The new tube needs to have slots cut into opposite ends that must be well aligned with each other. Also, a hacksaw width is inadequate and a Dremel cutting disk was needed to widen the slots. Putting the handle back on was also a bit fussy since the two long screws did not line up as well as the originals.

Finished product with original handle...or not. Could not add a photo ?.

Wife is pleased!