Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 28 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 28 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

MAV5000AWW Agitate and Noise Issues

RangerZ

My MAV5000AWW has some problems.  

I started a load and when I closed the top I could tell immediately there was an issue.  It would not spin or I think more properly agitate.  I could hear the belt slip on the motor for a second and then smelled that electrical burning smell and immediately opened the lid.  I removed the clothes, but it was still full of water.

I removed the screw and tried to pull the agitator hoping that maybe something is stuck between it and the tub.  I could not get the agitator off.

I eventually I found I could push it to the end of rinse cycle and it would spin and empty, but it was noisy.  Best I could describe it is like a very small 2 cycle engine which seemed to smooth out a bit, but not go away.

I ran a second mini load and this time it agitated.  I again pushed it to the end of rinse and it emptied.  This time the tub was out of balance maybe 1/2 to 3/4".  Do not recall this the first time, but not positive.  I ran it a short as possible.

I am wondering if I have sucked some small item into the works that I can fish out (done that before), or if it's some more mechanically related (trans going south) or a bearing. 

Any trouble shooting tips are appreciated.

Watch the video in the link provided and have a look under the machine. It could simply be a bad belt. The pump pulley should turn freely in both directions with no roughness; the transmission pulley should turn freely one direction agitating and in the other direction it will take a little effort to release the brake and turn the basket. Also, the motor pulley could be worn out.

Part number: AP6006365

Part number: AP6006365

Thanks for your reply.  I t will take a few days for me to be able to move and flip this due to it's location.

Maybe this will be intuitive when I flip it, but can you be more clear on releasing the brake.

Looking at this http://www.appliancepartspros.com/01-base-parts-for-maytag-mav5000aww.html

I am not sure the pulley is either sold separately or is correctly identified in the drawing and parts list.  See item 12.

Is there any lubrication recommendations for the pulley\bearings while I have it up?

the motor pivot plate should be clean, and motor should move easily upon it... but usually the drain pump is the suspect on this model when loud spin is a symptom. if the transmission is locked and cant agitate, it needs a new trans. My money is on 35-6465 drain pump... if the pump has caused the belt to ruin the plastic motor pulley, you'll need a new drive pulley also.

Simply the act of turning the transmission pulley in one direction releases the brake and allows the basket to turn; part of the pulley is made to do that, unless it's defective. Turning the pulley the other way is agitate.

Here's the motor pulley:

Part number: AP6005745

Part number: AP6005745

Let us know what you find.

Edited by vee8power

And the "looser" is the pump. 

I can see the corrugated metal that is referenced at 1:50 in this video. 

I see a lot of black matter under the machine, which I assume is belt debris.  I will also replace the belt.   Am I correct that the above issue in the video has put the pulleys out of plane and caused this?  It seems more concentrated under the motor than the pump.  This link has some pictures of the motor, pump and debris field.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wm9fszfye8b7bt9/AACy16NkAHglaLiNqgl23Gega?dl=0

The motor and the transmission turn smoothly and freely.  The motor slides easily on the pivot plate, which is a bit dirty with black belt(?) debris.   Is there something I can do to validate the motor.  It operated fine to get the tub emptied, so I am not too concerned, but not sure I want to replace it.

The parts list here also has something called a pump sleeve identified as #4 along with the pump.  Not sure what it is or where it goes.  Did not see it, as best I can tell, when I pulled the old pump.  http://www.appliancepartspros.com/01-base-parts-for-maytag-mav5000aww.html

Thanks for all your help!

Part Cross References

I am doing my due diligence on the repair parts and an, not surprisingly, finding cross references on these parts and hoping for some validation on accuracy or other "gotchas".

Belt - marked as 6 260990 and not validated in the sears on line parts tool.  The 21352320 keeps coming up.  (21352320| 35-3662| 6 2608400| 6 2600990|)

Pump - 35-6455 appears to cross with a number of other numbers:  21002240, 21002219, 21001906, 21001873, 21001723, 35-6465, 35-6780.  I also see most available in all plastic or with the original metal plate. 

Thanks

Part number: WP22003483

Part number: WP22003483This is the belt you need . The one you looked up will fit but will not work properly 

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Embedded part link with the APP button

Does this thing work?

Put your model number into the APP site and it will point you to the latest, available part numbers for you.

• Like 1

• Team Samurai

Here's how to use the yellow APP button to embed part links:

Just like my post above.

Didn't it used to be the video would show in the post before you even click the link to APP when we used that tool?

• Team Samurai

Yep, you got the knack. I posted the screencast for the benefit of Brother eva and others who don't know. 

And, yes, the APP code on the old forum software pulled in any associated video. Alas, that was one of the functions we lost. Still embeds the photo, though. 

vee8power had actually posted the link to the belt early on.  Unfortunately the link only had the AppliancePartsPro inventory item and not the Maytag Part number.  to cross it, I took my ACTUAL belt and the part number on it is 6 2600990, which does not yield a result on AppliancePartsPro .  Google got me to the other numbers above.

I just tried the belt link at the top of this post again, and it showed the Maytag number on a line "MFG Part Number:     WP22003483", but it seems to disappear after some time.  Tried it twice.  Thank you evaappliance for correcting me!

Anyone have any comments on the variety of pump numbers or debris seen under the machine?

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the pump and the belt, cleaned up all the dirt and debris.  Four loads down and all is good

Thank you all for your help!