Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

KitchenAid Washer

Tex

Group

I have a KitchenAid washer that "knocks" when agitating.  The wash operates normally but has this loud 
knocking sound.  The agitation works great...but with this loud knocking sound....which is louder when
washing bigger loads.  

( Model = KAWE667BWHO Serial = CD2202503 )  All other functions are normal (spin cycle, fill, etc)
The washer is 22.5 years old.

I just replaced the coupler which was worn.  The repair did not alter the knocking sound.  I checked the tranny mounting
bolts as well.  Ive even stuck my hands in the bottom of the washer during agitation to grab the agitator to determine
if its slipping, etc.  Results are the agitation appears very strong with no slipping, etc.  Yes, I still have all my fingers.

I really want to attempt to fix this washer.  It has been trouble free...until now....which is astonishing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tex

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• abaesemann

• 16345Ed

• Hiroshi

Is tub tilted to one side? Suspension spring may have broke. Many times the hole the spring hooks thru rusts out. 

If so, drill new hole reattached spring

Could be something in the pump or something in the wash basket, may be clutch/brake. need to narrow it down. If you can run the machine with cabinet off you can use a long screwdriver up to your ear and on the transmission as a stethoscope and determine if it is coming from that. make sure all springs are attached. Good washer, keep it going.

7 minutes ago, Tex said:

Thanks Ed - I had that problem and did exactly as you suggested and drilled a new hole.  So this repair has been done.

?

14 minutes ago, abaesemann said:

Could be something in the pump or something in the wash basket, may be clutch/brake. need to narrow it down. If you can run the machine with cabinet off you can use a long screwdriver up to your ear and on the transmission as a stethoscope and determine if it is coming from that. make sure all springs are attached. Good washer, keep it going.

Not sure - it sounds metallic and its definitely a clunk - do you think the agitator dogs would make a sound like that since the agitator is plastic?

Thanks - I just checked the agitator and i can move it both ways even during a wash cycle...just ike in the video.

So it appears the dawgs are bad....but do you think its the source of the problem and horrendous noise?  

Now that I have analyzed the washer a bit more - it appears the sound isnt a "clunking" sound but more of

of a "plastic gear stripping" sound....if that makes sense.  Should I post a video - can I post a video to the forum?

It sounds exactly like this....I think I have found the problem....and the solution appears to be buy a new transmission
or implement the fix like in the previous video I posted with a large washer - or purchase a kit if available. 

Anyone ever cracked open a tranny - there are you tube videos...just wondering if there are any gotchas I need to be
aware of.

When doing a direct-drive tranny repair, you will want some threadlock to put on the allen screw that holds the neutral pac plate when you re-assemble it, and have some type of adhesive to squeeze out thinly on the housing to act as a gasket to avoid the fluid leaking out...

The plastic part in your hands appears to be the agitator shaft actuator- agitator shafts are a common repair for "clinking" and also a frog-like "ribbit" during spin. Pay attention to the fact there is a ball bearing that sits below the dimple on the very bottom of the agitator shaft, be careful it doesn't come out with the shaft and get lost down in the fluid...

Look closely at the agitator "rack" which is the ovular, toothed piece that the corresponding teeth on the agitator fit into- there is a dot to mark where to line the two up.

If you are going this deep, I would probably replace the main drive gear (the whitish plastic gear on top) and the neutral pac that is below it- the two will eventually go and 23 years is not a bad run, the kit is less than 30 bucks. 

Neutral Drain kit - Part # 2911 Mfg Part # 388253  part # 388253

P.S. in my humble opinion, this is the most serviceable washing machine ever conceived of by mankind.

Edited by Hiroshi

Thanks hiroshi - do you happen to have the part number of those two plastic cams in the hands of the repairman in the above video?

Well - I went ahead and took apart the entire tranny.  I performed the washer fix (with a washer twice the thickness as the OEM)
in the youtube videos.  I also installed a cam agitator kit w/ new dogs, etc.  The problem is a bit better but still exists.  Im beginning
to think it isn't in the transmission.  The noise still exists during agitation and the agitators dont work correctly even with the new
dogs.  During agitation, the lower agitator moves counterclockwise - the upper agitator moves the same counterclockwise direction
and the dogs dont catch.  Therefore, it looks like a whirlpool inside the wash machine with the clothes getting wrapped around the
agitator.  Once the agitation cycle stopped, I tried to spin the upper agitator counter clockwise and the dogs catch and stop the
agitator......weird.....but during the agitation cycle, the dogs never catch.  Is there some braking mechanism that is supposed to
stop the lower agitator during the agitation cycle long enough for the upper agitator dogs to catch....thus causing a proper agitation
operation?

Thanks in advance...

The agitator action only works with a full load of water or clothes in the machine, if it is low on water or empty the only way it will work is by slightly holding agitstor.

If the bottom part of the agitator is only going one direction the problem is absolutely in the trans

7 hours ago, Tex said:

During agitation, the lower agitator moves counterclockwise

Just reread this, yes if only one direction the transmission is at fault.

Thanks guys - so if the tranny is at fault - which part in the tranny isnt working correctly?  I feel comfortable 
cracking it open again and replacing whatever needs replacing....just need to know what to replace.

Thanks again for the responses.