Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Air Diffuser Housing Removal: KitchenAid KSRL25FXMS03

TRITON71

Hi Everyone,
I needed some help figuring out how to remove the housing for an air diffuser on a KitchenAid refrigerator. I looked up info on the web and I reviewed whatever I found and youtube as well. But most housing for the air diffuser is easily removed in some models with a simple screw. However, my luck and refrigerator the housing is held in place by what I thought was a simple nut.  The air diffuser housing looks similar to other housings, but this one has a small canal where I thought I can fit a socket to remove the nut, but when I took pictures of the canal it is some sort of rounded off nut? I have no idea how I would take it off, unless of course I need a special tool. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it as to inform me what kind of nut it is and what tool is necessary to remove this.
KitchenAid:  KSRL25FXMS03
Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRITON71

• Hiroshi

• Richard Wood

• Gnominator77

Richard Wood

Fairly simple.  After you remove the screws on the fresh side you have to go into the freezer side and remove the cover/diverter that supplies air into it.  Then you will see 2 or 4 plastic clips holding it on.  Unclip it, and push/pull into fresh side and Voilà!

Hi Richard, thanks for the  info but on the fresh side the cover that protects the actual air diffiluser is held in place by what looks like a nut, but it looks like the nut is covered by a cap. It looks like i can see the stem of the bolt, but it appears that i may need a star allen wrench to remove it or a special tool. I will try to post a pic so you can see.https://flic.kr/p/RpqRxo

here is the pic.

thanks

Richard Wood

I've never seen one like that on that model.  I do know Whirlpool uses that type of bit on commercial and some residential washers now.  I do own a special set of tools with the hollow bits.  Here is a link that has served me well.  I just have to spray it with wd-40 every 6 months or so to prevent corrosion.   https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10224A-Extra-long-Security-32-Piece/dp/B003X5KEUK/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1488752511&sr=8-26&keywords=security+tool+bit+set

See if there is another screw somewhere on the cover to take off... because it looks like once that screw or screws are removed you push or pull on the cover to remove it from that screw. That screw in the picture looks like it is intended to stay in the liner and the cover slips onto it. From what I see anyway. Good Luck. 

Hi Richard, 

Since you indicated that Whirlpool uses that on some of washer models, do any service manuals indicate what tool it is to remove the nut? Thanks for the info on the special tools , will have to order them. I thought it may be a hex t45 , but looking at the picture it looks more like a hollow hex bit. Since the angles look flat more than a star bit. Its annoying that they had to use such a nut.

thanks

1 hour ago, Gnominator77 said:

See if there is another screw somewhere on the cover to take off... because it looks like once that screw or screws are removed you push or pull on the cover to remove it from that screw. That screw in the picture looks like it is intended to stay in the liner and the cover slips onto it. From what I see anyway. Good Luck. 

Thanks Gnominator,

I dont think there is another screw anywhere, it looks very clean in the front of the housing. I was also thinking that it may also slip off that odd nut.  This drives me crazy, its a simple housing... dont no the reason for adding this problematic piece lol. 

I have similar unit, did verify screw is a star bit.

Lowes has a security star bit kit that runs for about $25

Hi, 

Thanks for the info, this really helps! I will purchase that star bit set and replace the diffuser.

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they have the short security bit set for around $10

12 hours ago, lvasquez11 said:

I have similar unit, did verify screw is a star bit.

Lowes has a security star bit kit that runs for about $25

Hi tried the star bit, but it wouldnt loosen the nut i tried a T40 and T45 and nothing, looks like the bolt doesnt allow the bit to drop enough to catch the points in order to loosen. So annoying. What size did you use?

5 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they have the short security bit set for around $10

Hi I actually did go yesterday to Harbor Freight, but the star bits did not help T40-T45, looks like the bolt is in the way and wont allow bit to drop down far enough. I think i may need to drill out one of the bits to make the hole larger in order for the bit to fall over the bolt, therefore allowing the bit to fit into the security nut. So annoying, what secret technology are they trying to proctect inside the air diffuser case, absurd.

Hi Everyone,

Well the mystery is over and by just sheer luck I found out what held the housing in place. As I tried to remove what I thought (and everyone else in this thread) was a security nut, turned out to be just a screw. I was originally trying to use a star bit to remove the housing as everyone had mentioned, but it was not working, so I thought maybe the nut stayed in place and i had to push it in to release the housing, so I just used a long socket with an extension handle and as I inserted and pushed into the "nut" I felt the socket drop and lock over the "Nut?" so I immediately rotated the handle and I felt it loosen and the housing easily came off, to my amazment i looked and it was a simple screw holding it in place with a hex head.  Talk about being annoyed, so the screw being inside the canal in the housing gave it an appearance of being a star bit security nut, when in reality it wasnt. So this will help anyone with this type of housing on the air diffuser. Its just a screw not a security nut. Thanks to all who added to this thread.

Hmmm, the old optical illusion strikes again!!

Thanks for the update