Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers.
      As part of this workshop, we'll talk through a couple of case studies troubleshooting computer-controlled appliances. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool GW395LEGB gas range oven is dead after power surge

dj1100rt

We had a terrible power surge during a nearby lightening strike.  It took out several small electronics.  Worst thing is that our Whirlpool GW395LEGB oven is unresponsive.  The gas cooktop operates as normal, but the oven is digitally controlled.  The display shows only zeros.

Is there a reset sequence?  We have tried unplugging it for a while.  That did no good.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dj1100rt

• Tim M

• Hiroshi

Top Posters In This Topic

There isnt much by way of service diagnostics for this unit:

1. Verify failure if not displayed, using CANCEL/OFF key. Press key for 5 seconds until last error code is displayed

2. Disconnect power from oven for longer than 30 seconds.

3. Reapply power and observe for longer than 1 minute.

4. If failure remains, disconnect power, replace control, then go back to step 3

If the control board will not respond to any of the buttons, it will need rebuild or replacement. Looks like the control board is still available... WP9753639

Whenever I buy a control board, keypad (which might also be the issue) I get it from one of these two places.

365-Day, No-Hassle Return Policy on all parts ordered from AppliancePartsPros

RepairClinic

They let you return it up to one year out even if you install it.  For these expensive and sometimes hard to diagnose parts, it's ideal.  There used to be links on the appliantology Web site, but for some reason I can't find them.  Got these off the sister site fixitnow.com .   These guys get a cut when you use these links, but it costs you the same.  A nice way to say thank you.

Why aren't there parts links on the appliantology site anymore?  There is one in a post at the top of the DIY section, but nothing in the header on each page anymore.  Also missing is the donate button for DIYers who are grateful, and even members who really feel the help they got deserves something extra.

Tim,

Thanks for the heads-up.  I had the board out hoping to see a damaged capacitor or something obvious.  No such luck.  I will check out the links you provided.  I am considering sending it to fixyourboard.com for a rebuild.  I have the appliance schematic and there is not a lot to this range other than the board.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd follow up on this.  I did buy a used control board off Ebay.  Oven is working as it should with the exception that broil mode will not come on.  Still, glad to have an oven again.