Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electric dryer no power

TamaraHall

I have a Samsung electric dryer who is being very ornery! It's 5 years old with no past issues. One day, no power to it ... but it would come back to life randomly and dry a load most of the time but now it's dead as a door nail. We live in an apartment so called maintenance to check the outlet, I'm suspicious of it b/c it's upside down, I mean who installs a 4 prong 240v with the ground on top? They checked it and said the power was fine. Ok so I called out an appliance repairman and he said the dryer is fine but the outlet is getting only half power and that the breaker for the dryer needed to be replaced. Maintenance replaced the breakers for the dryer but I'm wondering why the clock on the oven ended up reset, maybe he replaced the wrong ones? And the dryer is still dead! My next thought is to replace the outlet entirely.

If the dryer is fine and the breaker is ok, what's the deal here?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TamaraHall

• MoTeD

• johntech

• RSuarez

They likely turned off main power to install new breaker. Hence all clocks would need reset. 

You need to verify 240VAC is present.

Easy to find out if the outlet is receiving voltage. First make sure he turned on breaker after repair. Try turning breaker off and then back on and see if machine will start. Buy a cheap voltage meter capable of testing 240vac. Can pick one up for under $10.00 at harbor freight. Google "how to test a dryer outlet". I wouldn't call a repair man back out until you verify 240v is going to machine. You could just call the office and see if they could send another more experienced maintenance man out. Maby the next guy will take more pride in his work. I'm with MoTed thinking he replaced the wrong breaker. 

It's fixed! Turns out the outlet was bad. After i gave them a 2 hour window before calling an electrician and forwarding them the bill ... another maintenance guy came out and said everything was fine. Ok im fuming at this point. I said, "Ok can you humor me and flip the outlet right side up?" He takes the cover off and it literally fell out of the wall! Nothing was connected to it. Once he put it back together the dryer started back up and is going strong after 3 loads.

The propety is covering the service charge I paid for the repairman so im happy about that lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It can be due to the wrong breaker. You can either contact the repairman again to know why is happening so or else you can consult some expert person who can give you the correct suggestion. Recently, my colleague has hired Electricians Exton PA team for the electric panel maintenance in his home. The team was a licensed electrician and gave him the safe as well as worth hiring service. You can also consult them or any other professional team who can give you the proper maintenance of your electric dryer. 

• 3 months later...