Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG Front Loader Washer WM3001HWA doesn't drain

savak1

The washer just stopped draining even though I can hear a hum that sounds like the pump is running (thankfully it was during the last load for the week). An error message (no codes) appears on the display:

NOT DRAINING CHECK THE DRAIN HOSE & FILTER

After following all the online tutorials and going through the LG websites guided troubleshooting and test cycle I am still seeing the issue. FYI Here are the steps in the LG test cycle

• Press the POWER button to turn the washer on.
  • Press the RINSE & SPIN button.
  • Press the START/PAUSE button.
  • Wait for the washer to fill and begin the rinse agitation.
  • Press the START/PAUSE button to pause the cycle, then press the POWER button to turn the washer off.
  • Press the POWER button to turn the washer back on.
  • Press the SPIN SPEED button to select a high spin speed. This will perform a spin only cycle.
  • Press the START/PAUSE button.
  • The washer will begin to drain the water from the washer and will begin spinning.

I am at a complete loss here and I am hoping somebody has an idea what could be causing this...

I did the following:

• Disconnected the drain hose from the drain pump and I was able to blow air through the hose with no restriction
  • Took the mount for the casing and pumps out of the machine.
  • Removed the drain and recirculation pumps from the pump casing
  • Ran power to each motor and verified the impellers spun
  • Cleaned out the casing and the mating surfaces for the pumps and casing
  • Reassembled the pumps, casing and mount
  • Replaced the assembly in the machine

After the machine was reassmbled I tried running the LG test cycle again (and here is where I am getting lost). Same thing happened again, the hum from the pump but no draining. I removed the plug to drain the drum and once the drum was drained the spin cycle started running. The one thing I noticed, and I have no clue what or if it means anything, is that when I was draining and the pump was humming, the stream coming fron the drain tube was MUCH stronger. Before the draining was complete and the spinning started, the humming stopped and the stream immediately became much weaker!!! I appeared to me that the pump was forcing the water out of the drain tube faster and once it stopped the water was just gravity fed.

I was ready to just buy a new drain pump after looking online at all the various websites but after I did all the diagnostic steps I don't want to waste the cash if that isn't the issue. I would love to hear any ideas.

Likely needs a Drain Motor.

Average "life" is about 5 years.

Can function intermittently...before failing outright.

Very common.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very common to need a new drain pump, it can spin in open air but under load can't pump, Try putting a friction load on it while under power. I'd also check the hose between the tub and the pump, if blocked will starve the pump for water to pump.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was the impeller “wobbly” on the old one? It seems like they get that way when they fail in normal use.