Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

ITB19440Q02 Whirlpool JAZZ board question

Yan

I'm wondering about the forced defrost mode....if the thermostat is bad, does the forced defrost mode is supposed to work anyway? Or does the board take into account the fact that the thermostat is not functionning properly and will not allow the forced defrost mode to start?  It's not specified into the technical service sheet.

Additional info: I know that the auto defrost cycle is not working properly since the evaporator is full of ice. When I use the diagnostic mode of my Whirlpool. ITB19440Q02 refrigerator, it show that my thermostat is "O" open.  

Thanks a lot

Edit: in fact my question is more I want to know if the element will heat anyway. When I try the forced defrost mode, everything stop but no heat seam to be produced by the element. So since the thermostat seem to be not working properly, does it affect also the forced defrost mode?

Yes, if the defrost t-stat is bad or open because it is above its rated close temp, the heater will not come on in normal operation or forced mode.  If the evaporator is all plugged with ice and pretty much even across complete evaporator then the t-stat should be cold enough to be closed if it where operating correctly

The heater itself could be bad also but normally the defrost t-stat or Main Jazz Board control.

When you get the "O" in diagnostics it's time to move the party down to the freezer section and gain access to the evaporator. You can jump around the bi-metal and put it in forced defrost mode to make sure board and heater are both working. Hopefully you have a steamer to take care of all of the ice on the evaporator.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the reply. The fridge part had become warm this week-end. I tested the t-stat with the maintenance mode of the Jazz board and it read O. So I decided to force the defrost to help the fridge regain and nothing happened. The compressor and fan were put off but it didnt seem to force melt the ice. So I decided to open the freezer panel and defrost the evap with an hairdryer. And restarted the refrigerator and everything return to normal. The fridge is cold and the freezer freeze. But I didnt test anything else manually ( jumper or multimeter) Thats why I asked if the forced defrost work with an O t-stat. I will try to jump the t-stat and test the element in forced defrost mode to be sure that everything else is ok in this case. 

Now if only the t-stat is bad, do you know if I can use another less  expensive t-stat that is compatible or similar with my refrigerator t-stat? First I found that I need to order a complete harness that include the t-stat soldered directly in the harness. OEM part #WPW10292244... so I searched for a less expensive solution, only the t-stat...and I found that I can desolder from the harness the bad one and instal this one WPW10165425. But, the t-stat by itself seem to be the expensive part of the original harness ( 35$ for the harness/t-stat or 27$ for the t-stat alone) . I' wondering if I can use something else that will fit and do the work, but in a more acceptable price range. I saw several model of t-stat around 6 to 15$ .  

Thanks

There is a part number on the original t-stat installed. Replacing it requires you to cut and splice.

Try this one. WPW10165425