Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

GE Profile Ice Maker Water Dispenser Leak

revrich

No model number makes it impossible to tell if line is replaceable or if entire door needs replaced. 

9 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

No model number makes it impossible to tell if line is replaceable or if entire door needs replaced. 

Hi 16345ed ,  I have changed a couple of the Dispenser water lines in whirlpool manufactured Refrigerators  that have had the dispenser on the interior left side wall of the fresh food section.    When it came to Ge refrigerators that were slightly older I always thought the freezer door had to be replaced when it came to that line.  It sounds as though ed from what you have mentioned is that the newer model GE refrigerators may have a replacement water dispenser line that can be Replaced?  Would like to know in case I run into one .

11 hours ago, revrich said:

GE Profile ice maker water dispenser leaking water from bottom of freezer door, apparently from tube inside the door.

You need to supply the model number of the fridge as 12345ed had mentioned.  Also where is the water coming out of at the bottom of the freezer door ?  Is it coming from exactly where the water line exits at the bottom of the door if that is the model you have or is  it coming from another side of the freezer door at the bottom.   A lot of times the dispenser water lines will get a pin hole leaks or crack right where ever there is a bend in the water line , where there is friction or movement to the line when the door is being opened and closed.  But as mentioned start with sending the model # of the fridge .

36 minutes ago, darren412 said:

Hi 16345ed ,  I have changed a couple of the Dispenser water lines in whirlpool manufactured Refrigerators  that have had the dispenser on the interior left side wall of the fresh food section.    When it came to Ge refrigerators that were slightly older I always thought the freezer door had to be replaced when it came to that line.  It sounds as though ed from what you have mentioned is that the newer model GE refrigerators may have a replacement water dispenser line that can be Replaced?  Would like to know in case I run into one .

I have no idea if they even make a replaceable line. 

I just know there is no way to check without model number. 

Yes understood ed.  Thanks for getting back.  Have a good day brother.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Model No. TFX25PPBA. Water is running off the tube coming out of the door. I took apart the dispenser at the top, and no water there.

The model number is incomplete. Will need the complete model to provide a part number. Try looking on the refrigerator ceiling near the front right side.

Peel back the door gasket. If it's held on with 1/4 inch screws then it's do-able.

Here's a preview of what the surgery will look like. 

My Office

Thanks. Is the WW at the end part of the model no? Sorry. I do have screws under the gasket, but your pic looks a little scary to me!

That fridge has got to be somewhere around 20 years old. Does the water actually gush out of the bottom of the door when you use the water dispenser or is it a very slow drip and you are assuming it's the water dispenser hose?

I've worked on thousands of fridges like yours and have probably had to replace that hose less than 10 times. 

Thanks. Old, yes! Water runs slowly down the tube from inside the door. I agree. No reason for it to just start leaking.

Actually, there are several reasons why water would be dripping from your freezer door besides your fill tube. Someone may have left the door ajar several days or weeks ago. Is the ice bin installed correctly? Is there any food packages sticking out beyon the freezer shelves? How do your gaskets look? Are they ripped or torn? GEs are notorious for moisture buildup inside the freezer door. Not so much your model as the ones that followed it, but it happens. 

Dry everything up. Fill a pitcher or two of water with your through the door dispenser and see if it causes a significant increase in the rate of drippage. Only do a pitcher or two at a time. The solenoid wasn't designed to stay energized for extended periods. 

Think I got it figured out. Not fixed, but diagnosed! Took the door off so I could see the tube at the bottom. Nipple joining the two tubes has a crack in it. Will replace it the first of the week. Thanks again.

Glad you got it figured and it is a simple repair:D

According to our wise and most gracious host the samurai Appliance repairman's 7th rule of appliance repair, one must put eyeballs on the source of the leak.

When I was but a young apprentice, the appliance jedi masters taught me, leaks must be found. 

You have found your leak. Nice work!

When you say it's leaking from the nipple, do you mean the coupling? 

2 hours ago, revrich said:

It's a nipple in this case - fits inside both ends of the tubing.

Can you upload a photo?

I believe he means the john guest fitting/ or the screw version of one

4 hours ago, revrich said:

It's a nipple in this case - fits inside both ends of the tubing.

I’m curious myself what this looks like.  I’ve always used and seen a plug and play coupling for the fridge door water tubing connections at the bottom and top of the dispenser doors. If you could upload a photo as 16354ed had mentioned . I would like to see what this nipple? Looks like too.

On a fridge that old I'd expect to see one of these 

4169_900x.jpeg?v=1520621152

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. And I don't mean to be disrespectful or unappreciative. But I've done most of my own plumbing repairs since working for a plumbing company more than 50 years ago. I know the difference between a nipple and a coupling. There is a coupling joining the tube from the back to a short piece that goes to the door. Then there is a nipple coming out of the tube in the door that connects to that. I am out of town, but will try to send a photo when I get back. 

16 minutes ago, revrich said:

And I don't mean to be disrespectful or unappreciative.

You are not at all...

we we are simply curious 

#75=WR17X3670 Tube. You'll have to split the door to install it. If you're willing to tackle it, you'll get excellent advice from the Appliantology Masters on this site.

#76=WR2X8933 Sleeve 

#80=WR2X8545 Coupling 

I'm starting to think a shortcut may have been taken at some point in this refrigerator's past. My colleagues and I will await your picture. Enjoy your trip. 

20180402_095545.png