Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bosch dishwasher SHE53TL5UC door won't latch shut and unit no longer attached to cabinents

TCO

(I am a clueless civilian, not a Ninja mechanic)

Bosch dishwasher, couple years old.  Last few months has been getting looser and looser in cabinetry.  HAd to give extra push to close door (and unit wiggled some).  Now it is totally floating. 

Tried washing dishes and sort of could hear a latch but unit did not seem to advance from the blinking 2:09 (tried power off and reset).  Now when I push I can't even hear a latch.

Tried playing with the latch thin tooth and thick tooth, but wasn't really able to do anything.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TCO

• Lighthouse

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

I researched on line and understand a little more about how the latch works.

During my trouble shooting, I had gotten the big tooth latched in the closed position with the door open.  I fixed that using the pull to front and up with tines of a claw hammer (it is a tip on the web).  So now at least it is in open position with door open.

But now when I push door closed, I can hear some sort of latching at least.  But door does not stay latched bounces to open again.

Tried various power off and hold to reset.  No joy.

Well...at least I learned something and had fun with the hammer pull tip. 

My little lever tooth on the side of the diswashwer is there, not broken off.  It seems to function as I have proven by once again pushing it and latching door closed with unit open. 

(Claw hammer got me back again after that...such a great tip.)

-------

Played around with this a little more.  I am actually able to get the unit to latch closed if I push on the top of the door while tilting unit up and back.  If I don't hold on, it bounces open quickly. 

I have actually been able to start the cyle (2:09 went from flashing to solid, hear things start happening for the cycle) if I do the tip up and back, push shut at top and hold the unit in that position.  But as soon as I release it and unit tips back to normal position, the door latches open (and cycle stops).

Sounds like you need to secure it better to cabinets. 

Should be screws on top going up in bottom of counter top. 

Or stone counters the units are usually secured on the side of tub opening. Usually little plastic covers hide screws. 

I can't find anything on top, other than sort of a gummy sticker.  And no place for a screw that I can see from inside of top.

There are some little things on the side (little metal wings) that look like they should take a screw) and push into the wood cabinets.  I guess I will try screwing it in.  Still wonder if it needs to somehow be aligned, tipped back?  Just funny how easy it opens from door weight.  Will try though.

58 minutes ago, TCO said:

Just funny how easy it opens from door weight. 

May not be fully latching due to not being properly installed as 16345Ed said

I screwed in the little side tabs.  (Which was an adventure since I have so few tools and supplies, hunting for screws and the like.)  Got it done, but the damned unit is loose still.  EVen with tightened screws and a washer and the like.  And still opens after you shut door.

At this point, I think I give up and have someone fix it.  At least I wasn't a total rich idiot and tried fiddling with screwdrivers and the like.  I don't think it was ever put in properly.  Maybe needed to be shimmed or something.

16345Ed:

Yeah, makes sense but how?  Stick some paper under it?  Has those stupid side mounts (stone counter).

9 minutes ago, TCO said:

I give up and have someone fix it

Sounds like a plan. Latch may have broken.

9 minutes ago, TCO said:

I don't think it was ever put in properly.

May not have been and sometimes this can cause unnecessary pressure on the latch & cause it to fail.

Thanks guys.

I did some more surgery on it to no avail.  Made sure the side things were good and tight.  Took the toe plate off and pushed it up and advanced the little screw feet at the bottom as much as possible.

Took the door off (crazy star screws) to look at the receiver for the latch--thought maybe it was too low.  But there is no adjust in there, just one plastic piece...which I have good and tight now.

Door still seems to have some wiggle somehow but I don't know if this is from the latch or what.  Looked at the hinges with a flashlight from the side without disassembling but couldn't discern anything.

Again thanks.  I feel like such a piece of meat.  But at least I twiddled some screws versus just giving up.

Hey, you tried. Good job. 

One easy test to see if it’s securely fastened in opening... open door carefully pull on door and see if it starts to slide out of opening. Does it wiggle? Or does it seem secure? Or does it easily slide right out?

It's secure in place.  The silly thing is apparently I fixed it!!! But figured this out after doing 2 loads of dishes by hand.

Think it was from the door taking apart and putting back together, not the fastening.  As that didn't help it.

But when I took the door apart, there were exposed wires and I finally shut the breaker (all live before).  So when it wasn't latching (at the end) that was with the power off.  Before it wasn't latching even with the power on.  When I put the breaker back it works now.

Wonder if it wasn't even taking the door off and fiddling the receiver but maybe some sort of solenoid was failed or something.  And the power switch was not enough but the breaker cycling was.  Donno.  Will treat with kid gloves.  And it was loose also and I secured it.  But think that was not the issue.  Was something with the latch.