Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

hunting leaks in a R-410A air conditioner

Friend of Pyewacket

Friend of Pyewacket

My system seems to run OK during the cooling season but loses 4-6 lbs of R-410A over the winter.

What is the recommended procedure for hunting slow leak(s) in an air conditioning system with HFC mixture R-410A?

I'm getting inconsistent information on this topic.

1. The installer tried "listening" for the leak by pressurizing the system with several hundred pounds of nitrogen gas.

2. The Carrier service manual for Puron (R-410A) systems suggests hunting with a HFC sesntitive electronic leak detector in a system pressurized to 150-375 psi with R-410A or with a mix of nitrogen and R-410A.

I'm working with a different service provider and would like to find the leak in a cost efficient and environmentally responsible manner.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

What part of the country are you in?  Do you get snow in the winter?  Couldn't hurt to stick a little teflon tape on those service ports.  A nitro isolation would find it.  What kind of coverage (if any ) do you have on it?  Extended warranty maybe?

Friend of Pyewacket

about visible signs of leaks:

The service tech says there's no oil on the expansion valve or the ~2 ft of copper pipe leading into it. The rest of the piping is in foam insulation and behind drywall.

about geography:

We're in suburban Chicago where winter=snow and the other 3 seasons = road construction.

about service fittings:

The service tech made a point of using a BIG wrench to secure them.

about warranty:

Alas, we just have Carrier's parts warranty, the installer is long gone.

Although I have no first hand knowledge of what it must be like in the cold (I reside in the tropics) the Force is telling me in might be possible  for the extreme cold to shrink the rubber o-rings and such in those service valves enough for gas to escape.

When your  A/C Guy charged your unit, did he measure the liquid line temperature and use the sub-cooling method, or did he put his hand on your suction line and use the beer can method?

Now that is working well you can get a feel for what it is supposed to be doing.  Feel the air coming off the condenser unit.  Feel the skinny pipe.  Feel how cold the large copper pipe near the suction service valve is.  The air coming out of your air handler should be 18 to 20 degrees colder that the air going in.  Now you can monitor things during the summer cooling season. 

Archived