Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Water cooler dispenser making loud boiling noise popping

bluefitness

GE water cooler/heater GXCF05D

I've had this cooler for a while. It just started making a boiling noise and popping sound. I was thinking that air might be in the reservoir or it is overheating. Does anyone know how to purge the air from the system or tell me what are some possible causes. I used to work in HVAC, so I know how to use a meter if I need to check temperature safeties or the thermostat.

Thanks 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluefitness

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case someone reads this through a search. I was able to resolve the issue.

I believe the popping noise was due to a partially clogged hot water vent pipe. It would build up pressure and then make a loud popping noise. If you remove the water jug and the jug plate. You will see a small aluminum pipe coming out of the left side. This goes down to the hot water storage tank. The manual states you can clean the water cooler with either vinegar or citric acid. I opted for citric acid at 16 oz per gallon. I made sure to pour some of the solution down the vent pipe. i then blew out the vent pipe and used a pipe cleaner to clean it. The problem hasn't came back since.