Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

steveklein

Directory of Appliantology members?

steveklein

As a non-pro, I'd love to be able to call on an Appliantology member to fix my appliances when a job is beyond my skills.  I figure anyone I find through this website is going to be knowledgable and experienced.

Even pros might want a way to look up pros in other cities, when some geographically-distant friend or relative needs help.

We need a public directory of members.

Directory listings should be limited to paid-up members, and should be accessible to non-members looking to hire a pro.

Does this already exist? If not, please consider creating such a directory.

If tech assistance is needed, I volunteer my services; I'm an IT pro by trade.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Son of Samurai

Very interesting idea! What do the Brethren think of us setting up a directory like steveklein is describing?

Budget Appliance Repair

Sounds like a somewhat good idea, (I personally wouldn't be interested in being in a directory), this maybe the only problem.

Lots of the more senior members maybe already as busy as they want to be and not really need/want anymore work.

The ones just starting their businesses and don't have the top skills yet would most likely to be found in the directory trying to get more work.

WOOKIE

I can see the pro's and con's of the list.  The pro , would be to help grow your network of professional friends .   I have friends in all  trades I call on whenever i have brain fart or just to b.s. 'we pass on info as to what  branch is having a  training class or, great deal's and ,vise-versa.  We also warn each other about problem client's to watch out for. However, the down side would be to disrespecting them by calling them every time you run across a problem.  This is a great form to request help where someone can respond to a situation in their own time. Right now i am on the fence about this.

KaveMan

I like the idea. Especially coming from someone who drinks Watney’s Red Barrel...😉

steveklein
15 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

Lots of the more senior members maybe already as busy as they want to be and not really need/want anymore work.

The ones just starting their businesses and don't have the top skills yet would most likely to be found in the directory trying to get more work.

I'm trying to solve two problems.

1. An appliance repair pro in Boston gets a call from his parents in Miami. Their oven needs fixing, and they ask him to recommend someone. How could he do it?
  2. I'm not an appliance repair pro. Right now, I don't have any local pro I can call when I need help. How do I find one?

What if the directory was only open to members? That could help in example #1.  Even if you don't need new customers, wouldn't it be nice to help out a fellow appliance repair tech? Imagine Son of Samurai called you: "Hi, Budget Appliance Repair. My cousin lives near you and needs his washing machine fixed."  Would you tell him, "Sorry, Son, I'm busy"?

I'm in Detroit, and I've used a similar website for computer repair techs to find a guy to fix my Mom's Mac in Palm Dessert, over 2,000 miles away. And a few times over the years I got calls from computer techs in distance cities needing to find a guy in Detroit to help out their friend or relative. I love those service calls, because I'm already trusted when I walk in the door. And I get the satisfaction of knowing I did a favor for another tech and got paid to do it!

By the way, problem #2 above is not hypothetical. It describes my current situation.  G-d forbid one of my appliances dies tomorrow; I don't know who to call.

I'm not wedded to the idea of a directory, but I do need a solution to problem 2, and I bet more than a pros like yourself need a solution to problem 1. @Budget Appliance Repair, do you have any suggestions for solving these problems?

Budget Appliance Repair

@steveklein  All good points, I don't know how to solve them except that you are a member and you can ask for anyone here in your Detroit area that maybe near you and able to help.

Probable a members only directory would be the only somewhat practical solution.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.