Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 12 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 12 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help replacing magnetron: GE Advantium Microwave model SCB2001CSS1

richt

Hi.  I have an 18 yo Built in GE Advantium Microwave.  The magnetron failed about 8 years ago and had it repaired by GE appliances.  It failed again now and GE no longer stocks the part or a replacement part so they wont fix it.  I found the exact OEM replacement magnetron online and from the youtube videos I've seen of replacing it in other GE microwaves, it seems like something I could easily tackle (I know to turn off the power and short the capacitor) but I can't find any exact details/videos or specs for replacing the magnetron on the GE Advantium Microwave that I have and so I thought I'd check w/ this forum which has always been a wonderful source of information.

Thank you in advance Appliance Masters.

The Advantium's can be very heavy. Usually replacing a magnetron tube is easy once you get to it.  You model number didn't come up for me. So i'll generic instructions, Turn off power and remove unit from wall. Remove outer covers, there may be some inner covers over high voltage area to remove. Discharge your capacitor and if there enough room unplug the wires, remove the temp fuse and 4 screws or nut and pull out. Sometimes the hv transformer is mounted too close  to mag tube so it will need to be removed. Reassemble as needed. 

Thanks Samarai Master!  I can get the Advantium out of the wall cavity pretty easily.  I'll try to take some pictures once I get the part in to show what the repair looks like once I get the part in.  The unit is 18 years old so I'm not surprised it doesn't come up as a manual and that's probably why the part is deprecated but a new one is $1400 to $1700 so I figure it's worth trying the repair.

I' found an old manual online and after turning off the power have taken the case off.  The inside of the advantium doesn't look anything like the manual so I must not have the right manual!  I can see the magnetron and i shorted the capacitor.  Inside the chasis was an envelope with a schematic picture that I'm attaching as well as pics of what it looks like.  To the left of the magnetron is an airduct assembly and to the right is a suction guide for a lower blower motor.  I don't see an easy way to remove these and I'm hoping that someone on the forum can give me some guidance based on the pictures.  I did find a local repair person who said they would fix it for $300 and I'm wondering if I should bail and have them do it but it looks like it would be so simple to replace the magnetron if I could just get to the 4 screws holding it in place. I appreciate any thoughts or help from the Samarai Appliance Masters here.

.7ZfmT6An4DY2FfcS3F8c0LQodOOyre1gbQVH4jPMVSZZMcRbhb_RIGsQHLAHhCooWhOoiefx0BE4hMbBd_IHQo781fcyXFoJQm95zNx3jkEG2mRgLT77qEg8MHf_JJjhk5MRT1o8nd5ARZyNBjjXj_4s6ovP25dKtrJSRtuRwRVmsugJuyF7OeeixyqoiHiacLvXCnsX

I fixed it!! 

I'm posting pics of the repair. There is one screw to remove the plastic fan assembly to the right of the magnetron - i show this w/ the scewdriver.  Once this screw is removed there's enough room to remove the 2 screws to the right of the magnetron

MBftMLtku_YMHOEFYBl-C6--d7mto9F0ZCCEQgIu

There are two screws to remove on the fan system to the left of the magnetron - these can only be reached by going through the access holes on the metal plate above the fan - i show these in the next pic.  The first one is difficult to replace and if you put the other screw in first it's impossible (I spent 15 minutes till i figured this out)

k7Xvdk_g53Ln84FX7HCI2ioGIVABUpJhngzagd2H

Here's the second screw which is easier to remove and replace

cJUt9LzT62BImQ0Rc2vKl8LgpD7SuSZ1VYhjCOcf

Here's a pic of the old magnetron next to the new one - look how burnt out the antennae is on the one on the right.  I already moved the thermosensor to the new one

6G-hMti8RQNVBTrimXJ7-wAVln8bsChKPd749Jx-

This website is such a great resource I hope this information helps someone else!

None of your pictures are coming thru but you say the mag antenna is burnt up.   Did you check the wave guide for damage also?   If not, there is a good chance the wave guide is damaged/arched also and good burn up your new mag antenna in a short amount of time.

• Like 1