Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 12 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 12 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Washer LA412 how to test motor and Exte switch

naftaturbo

My 94 year old mother has had this machine since late 60's.  It was last serviced in 1973 by my 95 year old dad (he can't remember - damn Dementia) when it received new belts, a new OEM motor and Exte switch and motor mount assembly, new suspension springs.  A few days ago she called to say that she was smelling an acrid smell and turned it off.

I picked up a set of belts and drove over.  I unplugged the power, drained all the water out, and replaced the belts.  Turned the rotary switch to the off position and plugged the machine back in.  I set to small load, rotated the switch to 2 minutes, and turned on.  The machine loaded water (no clothes) and started cycling.  After a few minutes it went into drain cycle and pumped all water out.  It then filled with water again and when that cycle started I could sense the acrid smell coming from the motor.  The motor was also very hot to the touch - I couldn't hold my hand on it.

I turned it off and rotated the switch to where it should have started draining the water again (between the rinse & spin I reckon). I turned on and nothing happened but I could sense the acrid smell again.  I'm ready to buy a new motor but I have some concerns about whether the motor is the problem or if it is being overloaded and I would have the same problem with a new motor.  I think the water pump is OK because I can turn it by hand and it did pump the water out the first time and I didn't sense any belt slip during that time.  Water pumps aren't too expensive so I would replace it if experts on this forum think it may be a problem.  What else can I do, what else can I check prior to spending ~$200 for a new OEM motor?  I'm comfortable doing electrical checks (with my Fluke) if I knew what terminals to probe on the Motor Exte switch.  I'm also comfortable applying 120V direct to the motor if I knew which leads to contact in order to check either (or both) directions.  I've spent hours on the internet trying to find wiring diagram or diagnostic diagram with no luck.  Other than this problem the machine is still in excellent condition and my mom really doesn't want to learn how to drive a new one.  Can anyone out there on the forum provide some helpful material, trouble shooting steps, etc to help me confirm that a new motor is the answer?  I'd sure like to be able to test the Motor Ext switch if someone can tell me which connections to probe.

Thanks everyone and to all a happy and healthy New Year.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evaappliance

• naftaturbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your washer shows to be a single speed , the best test for the motor is to make up a test cord out of an old or cheap extension cord . With the belts off make sure the transmission pulley turns counter clockwise without much effort. If it does you most likely will be dealing with a bad motor. 
I would see if I could find a good used one , in my opinion a older used motor will last longer than a new one built in today’s world. 

4 hours ago, evaappliance said:

Your washer shows to be a single speed , the best test for the motor is to make up a test cord out of an old or cheap extension cord . With the belts off make sure the transmission pulley turns counter clockwise without much effort. If it does you most likely will be dealing with a bad motor. 
I would see if I could find a good used one , in my opinion a older used motor will last longer than a new one built in today’s world. 

Thank you evaappliance, that's really helpful.  I'll make up a test cord today.  Silly question, but is that counterclockwise looking down from the top of machine or looking up from bottom of machine?  Would it make sense to make an adapter so I can turn it with a beam-type torque wrench?  What torque would I be looking for as maximum acceptable?  Thanks again!

2-867-copy.jpg

Looking from the bottom up,    you will not need a wrench, it should turn with  little more than Using one finger on a empty tub.   If you have to turn it with much more force than that the transmission is locking up