Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kitchenaid KDTE254ESS1 Dishwasher Noise when Draining

itbedave

We have a Kitchenaid Dishwasher that has had a few problems lately, the most concerning one which is a noise that seems to be coming from the pump whenever it drains, but NOT when it's circulating during the cycle. I've listened to it and monitored it and it IS still draining successfully - but it makes a pronounced noise now that it was not making just a couple weeks ago. I'm guessing it's either the pump going bad.

Prior to the noise, I tried to clean the filter, sump cover, and sump itself due to noticing leaking after a cycle a couple times. Upon inspection, the seal around the door near the bottom on both sides, as well as the filter and the sump cover were caked with a buildup of a greasy, waxy substance that I am fairly certain was preventing the sump from draining properly and overflowing the bottom of the tub. Since cleaning those - which wasn't easy (suggestions for better methods or cleaning products welcome) - it no longer leaks thankfully. 

But then just a few days later, we started hearing the noise when draining. I'm thinking it's coincidental? But maybe that same gunk has been restricting the pump, causing it to wear prematurely? 

I'm going to record the noise the next time we run it as it may help others looking for answers in the future. As always, I appreciate all feedback and suggestions! Thanks!

One of two problems, first is something in the drain housing like a piece of glass, plate or seed. Second the is worn bearing or impeller.  Remove the drain pump to inspect for foriegn objects or pump issues. Be careful as glass is very hard to see and is often very sharp. Also inspect the impeller area of the housing for wear.

• Like 1

I did a general inspection of the sump well when I cleaned it and removed all debris. However, it was difficult to see into the drain opening where the pump inlet is. But I just remembered I got one of those USB "snake" cameras for Christmas that connects to my phone or tablet that I can try out today. 😎 I'll give that a shot before I remove the drain pump itself.

My guess though is the noise is consistent enough for it to probably be bearings going bad.

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to follow-up on this for those with similar problems.

I ended up with a leak in the diverter seal on this unit, which forced my to replace the entire sump pan. I found recycled part with a good working drain pump on it and installed it, which has eliminated the problem. 

I did inspect the old pump upon removal, and it moved freely but was caked with grease and debris. I didn't see any metal or glass as suggested, but by the time I changed it out, you could clearly hear that there were likely teeth missing or badly worn on a drive gear inside. 

Thanks again for the help!