Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Wine fridge compressor motor failure

Jschrader

I have a VT-155SBB that’s acting up. On first plug in the unit works well and cools down to it’s lowest setting of 40℉ without issue. However, after that first cycle the compressor attempts to kick back on but fails to fully start and stalls. After several seconds of being stalled the overload protector trips cutting the power. This cycle continues until I unplug the unit and let it sit for several minutes (~15 minimum). For the sake of fully diagnosing the problem I replaced the overload protector, the start relay, and the capacitor, but the faulty functioning continues after the first cooling cycle. It seems that the compressor won’t start back up after the first cycle when there is still head pressure in the system to overcome. I checked the resistance of the common to start terminals at 8.4 ohms, common to run at 6.0 ohms, and start to run at 12.4 ohms. All of the terminals read infinite to ground. Is the compressor motor start winding bad or is more diagnosis required?

Refrigerator P/N: VT-155SBB

Compressor P/N: NB1116HY

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vance R

• Jschrader

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Jschrader said:

This cycle continues until I unplug the unit and let it sit for several minutes (~15 minimum)

After the compressor shuts off the first time how long before it tries to start on it's own? The sealed systen should equalize on it's own in 5 to 10 minutes. The control board maybe short cycling the compressor. IF possible could you measure voltage at the compressor when it tries to start.