Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Amana BX22S5W fridge and freezer warm. Checked all individual components

snapperon

Condenser fan runs non stop, but fridge and freezer warm.  Starter relay tests good (4.7ohm), Overload tests good (0.1 ohm), compressor wiring has good resistance readings, not shorted to ground, run cap tests good (15mF).  Put it all back together, minus wiring for condenser fan, and compressor starts and runs fine.  Connect up the condenser fan, and it will run, but the compressor will not kick on.  I'm stumped?????  What is my next troubleshooting step?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snapperon

• Vance R

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, snapperon said:

I'm stumped?????  What is my next troubleshooting step?

Yup kinda odd since the evaporator fan, condenser fan and compressor are wired in parellel. Sounds like there is a wiring issue - corrosion or loose connection.  Look to see if there is a connector in the machine compartment and if there are any issues. Rest of the wiring is in the cabinet wall.

Ok, standard wiring has one leg of the condenser fan going to one pin on the overload protector and the other leg going to the run terminal via a spade connector on the start relay.  All this wiring is inside the machine compartment.  I pulled both legs of fan off the overload/start protector and plugged them directly into a surge protector via a modified extension cord.  Plugged in the fridge, turned on the surge protector, and both items work at the same time and everything seems ok.  Will have to wait to see if it cools to temp and holds, but that will take some time.  So, I'm not sure what that means?  This fan is definitely in parallel, but the fact they run independently makes me think there isn't a wiring issue in the cabinet wall (thermostat, evap fan, etc), otherwise the compressor would still not work, right?  Still stumped.  Could the fan or run cap be out of tolerance or something that would create too much resistance to get the compressor going?  Would it be smart to just shotgun the overload, start relay, and the run cap?  All 3 are only $20, but they all test correctly.