Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kitchenaid KUDSFX34SS4 dishwasher top rack not cleaning

DocKent

Hello,

I've been having trouble with our Kitchenaid KUDSFX34SS4. The dishes in our top rack (of 2 racks) are not getting clean. This started as a small problem a few months ago but has been getting worse despite cleaning the inside, filter screen, etc., and replacing the chopper. I noticed that one of the 2 rubber valves in the upper spray arm was bent in the open position so I replaced that too but no improvement. I'm wondering (hoping) it is something simple like the spray arm bearing (AP6012229) or spray arm seal (AP6012237). I've read that the motor could be a cause, but I'm not hearing any unusual noise, the lower dishes are always spotless and the tub seems to drain properly. Water inlet could be a problem but again tub seems to fill okay and lower dishes rinse ok. 

Incidentally I did have a leak between the motor and impeller seal a month or so ago and replaced the impeller with its seal and that seemed fine.

Any ideas or advice on diagnosing the seals (above), motor and water inlet valve?

Thanks!

Thanks Josh.

Codes showing are 10-1 (rinse aid dispenser), 6-1 (low water/suds/float switch), and 6-6 (low water temp).

Now, I had a bad rinse aid dispenser about a year ago and swapped it and haven't had any problems with it since (it was losing rinse aid in 24hrs). Once in a while the detergent door will get blocked it someone puts in a cookie sheet or something that blocks it and we'll have detergent stuck in there but that hasn't happened recently.

I had noticed a tiny leak at the float switch when I replaced the impeller last month so I replaced the float and its housing which fixed that. Have never had excess suds and have only used one type of detergent since purchase several years ago. 

I checked the supply water temp as part of my troubleshooting; I think once in a while the hot supply might be low (if multiple people shower in the PM before we run the dishwasher, but this would be rare).

The bottom rack has always cleaned perfectly. I just picked up the two seals mentioned above but I'm not sure that's it.

I thought the only motor in this unit is the circ motor https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/vps286oqr9-000593/kitchenaid-kuds35fxss4-dishwasher-parts

Thanks for your help!

Doc

Model number isn’t correct, it’s not bringing up anything. If this is the older style with the chopper they don’t have a diverter, they wash both racks at the same time. Common problem that I see a lot is that it’s not filling with enough water. If you’re experienced it’s easy to hear this when it’s running as the sound of it will change when the pump is starved of water. Basically you want the unit to sound the same continuously as it runs. If the sound changes to a sort of deeper, more pronounced noise every couple of seconds, try adding a quart or so of water and see if that stops it. If it does, you’ll want to replace the fill valve. 

• Like 1

@ABA Tech Here's the correct model# from the Sears link above: KUDS35FXSS4

This is the Voyager design as you are explaining.

Most of the time it is a result of a plugged up sump from not scrapping the large items off before putting stuff in the dishwasher thus putting stuff in the dishwasher that should never be put in.

It sounds like they have already disassembled and cleaned the sump area and checked the chopper blade so it maybe the problem you describe of not enough water fill from a bad or plugged up water inlet valve.

This one also has the "Turbo Wash" feature that when the turbo wash is washing no water goes to the upper spray arms - there could be a problem with the turbo wash wax motor actuator or the control board causing the turbo wash to activate when it shouldn't, thus no water getting to upper rack and roof sprayers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 2:05 PM, ABA Tech said:

Model number isn’t correct, it’s not bringing up anything. If this is the older style with the chopper they don’t have a diverter, they wash both racks at the same time. Common problem that I see a lot is that it’s not filling with enough water. If you’re experienced it’s easy to hear this when it’s running as the sound of it will change when the pump is starved of water. Basically you want the unit to sound the same continuously as it runs. If the sound changes to a sort of deeper, more pronounced noise every couple of seconds, try adding a quart or so of water and see if that stops it. If it does, you’ll want to replace the fill valve. 

On 4/22/2021 at 2:05 PM, ABA Tech said:

Yes - good catch; the model is KUDS35FXSS4. The link I included in the body of the message is the correct model and parts diagram from Sears.

On 4/23/2021 at 5:08 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@ABA Tech Here's the correct model# from the Sears link above: KUDS35FXSS4

This is the Voyager design as you are explaining.

Most of the time it is a result of a plugged up sump from not scrapping the large items off before putting stuff in the dishwasher thus putting stuff in the dishwasher that should never be put in.

It sounds like they have already disassembled and cleaned the sump area and checked the chopper blade so it maybe the problem you describe of not enough water fill from a bad or plugged up water inlet valve.

This one also has the "Turbo Wash" feature that when the turbo wash is washing no water goes to the upper spray arms - there could be a problem with the turbo wash wax motor actuator or the control board causing the turbo wash to activate when it shouldn't, thus no water getting to upper rack and roof sprayers.

interesting - any way to troubleshoot whether the control board is inappropriately turning on the proscrub feature? we rarely use this function. There are two ball bearings in the lower part of the spray arm that seem to block flow to the proscrub nozzles when not in use. The are clean and move freely. 

I replaced the seal on the upper spray arm and the tiny missing gasket on the lower spray arm - it seems slightly better

One thing I've noticed is that the valve (WPW10077903) that connects the lower to the upper wash arm has some gaps between the front and back pieces; maybe water is leaking out there? 

If the problem is the main motor or the water inlet valve can I confirm that by clearing codes and running a few washes to see if they register again?

Thanks for the advice!

On 4/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, DocKent said:

Hello,

I've been having trouble with our Kitchenaid KUDSFX34SS4. The dishes in our top rack (of 2 racks) are not getting clean. This started as a small problem a few months ago but has been getting worse despite cleaning the inside, filter screen, etc., and replacing the chopper. I noticed that one of the 2 rubber valves in the upper spray arm was bent in the open position so I replaced that too but no improvement. I'm wondering (hoping) it is something simple like the spray arm bearing (AP6012229) or spray arm seal (AP6012237). I've read that the motor could be a cause, but I'm not hearing any unusual noise, the lower dishes are always spotless and the tub seems to drain properly. Water inlet could be a problem but again tub seems to fill okay and lower dishes rinse ok. 

Incidentally I did have a leak between the motor and impeller seal a month or so ago and replaced the impeller with its seal and that seemed fine.

Any ideas or advice on diagnosing the seals (above), motor and water inlet valve?

Thanks!

Correction: the model number is KUDS35FXSS4

Need to locate the two wires on the control board that go to the wax motor actuator for the power scrub and take a voltage reading.

If you are getting 120Vac to the power scrub actuator when power scrub option is not selected then you have a bad control board.

If you find that is the case and don't care about the power scrub option you can disconnect the wires to the power scrub actuator either at the actuator or at the control board if the two power scrub wires are on there own plug, (probably not going to be - usually you have two or three loads on one plug space on the control board).

The actuator has a magnet and when the power scrub option is on it raises the actuator arm with magnet up pulling the steel balls to the up position blocking off the upper rack and roof spray arms.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 10:10 AM, DocKent said:

Ok - thanks. I'll find a time to pull it out and check the voltage. Should that give me an error code? Also for the inlet valve; should there be a code for that? I've been running loads with proscrub on just for the heck of it to see if anything gets jogged back into line.

Correction: the model number is KUDS35FXSS4

If the triac that controls neutral to the pro-scrub actuator is shorted the control board doesn't know that and has no idea that the pro-scrub is actuated even when it shouldn't be so no error codes created.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was having the same exactly issue with this model, top rack wouldnt clean dishes, in this case the top rack brackets needed to be replaced, there is a upgraded kit for this top rack, the rack would not seal or attach to the back water tubing, so I thought I was done after replacing the broken brackets, nope, customer called saying still no clean dishes on top rack, after taking the lower arms and uncover the chopper I could then see the chopper was broken and chopper filter completely plugged restricting the water flow, that was the fixing in my case, love the appliantology, to me is the best source to get help.

Hey thanks for the info - I had checked & replaced the chopper early in the process & definitely had the issue with the brackets but was able to ensure the top water inlet was in position & it still wasn’t getting clean. Found the control board was the likely culprit & 2 days later the top rack adjuster bracket broke in half so decided to call it after 10 years. New model is great. Much sturdier racks & leak detection looks cool. Good luck ✌️