Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 12 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 12 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Dreaded LG Compressor gone bad? Linear Compressor

Helper1

My LG fridge falls into the list of models that were a part of the class action lawsuit for bad compressors.  The fridge is about 4 years old and it has stopped cooling on both sides of the fridge/freezer.  Everything seems to check out and be functioning, no codes, etc. I found the service manual so I may do some additional tests but some of this stuff is beyond my experience.

LG FLB075LANA Linear Compressor.

The only real symptom beyond not cooling is the sound of the fridge running sounds a bit different than before. If I open the fridge side, I can hear the compressor and it sounds just slightly different than it did before.

All fans seem to work as they should. No issues with evaporator were present. Coil was clean overall. Fan on coil/compressor is running fine. I can hear both fans on fridge and freezer side engaging as they should.

Is it worth doing this test to see if the compressor is getting enough voltage? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGEY8XDA4o

Considering there is a class action lawsuit for this compressor specifically, my guess is its the compressor itself.

I've changed out PCB boards on other fridges, changed out parts on my natural gas stove, natural gas dryer, multiple washers, etc. So I'm not new to appliance repair, but its not what I do regularly so I'm pretty much back to square one with each new problem that arises.

Anything else to check or test? I have a repair guy scheduled from LG but it sounds like they may not make it here for a while so I may be stuck without a fridge for a week or more so I want to be proactive and see if there is anything else I can test/check?

Hello,

Hopefully LG can take care of you much quicker then that. It’s hard to live without a working Refrigerator. If your model falls in the list of the models that are stated in the lawsuit, more then likely you are dealing with a failed compressor. However that is not always the case. You could also be dealing with a leak or a complete restriction. The only sure way to be able to see which of these problems you are experiencing is to tap into the system with a BPV (bulletin piercing valve) and hook up some gauges. Unless you are able to perform this step you will not get any real answers. 

Is there a frost pattern on the evaporator coil or is it dry and bare ?

If the coil is dry and bare and has no frost pattern while the refrigerator has been running atleast 30 minutes you have a sealed system issue

Edited by Osayi
Forgot something
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 12:40 AM, AR, LLC said:

Hello,

Hopefully LG can take care of you much quicker then that. It’s hard to live without a working Refrigerator. If your model falls in the list of the models that are stated in the lawsuit, more then likely you are dealing with a failed compressor. However that is not always the case. You could also be dealing with a leak or a complete restriction. The only sure way to be able to see which of these problems you are experiencing is to tap into the system with a BPV (bulletin piercing valve) and hook up some gauges. Unless you are able to perform this step you will not get any real answers. 

I have a spare fridge we use for bulk buys so luckily that is filled to the gills and we didn't lose too much food.  I don't have the equipment to do the testing on my own so I am at their mercy this round. When the LG repair person called to confirm they said they are expecting a compressor issue and were bringing one along in case. No clue if that will be true but I will find out when they come.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, Osayi said:

Is there a frost pattern on the evaporator coil or is it dry and bare ?

If the coil is dry and bare and has no frost pattern while the refrigerator has been running atleast 30 minutes you have a sealed system issue

I'm not seeing any frost issues or anything. The fridge was running normal, and then I noticed it wasn't hot, It was maintaining in the 50's (F) for a few hours, after unplugging and replugging it back in, it dropped to the mid 60's. After about a day it was down to ambient room temp.

I unplugged it for a day and  then plugged it back in for a few hours. Now it runs and sounds normal for the most part (Slight rattling noise from compressor but minimal), but it does not cool at all on either side. So whatever it is got progressively worse very quickly.  Think this may indicate a leak since there is no cooling/heating of the coils or lines at all?

@Helper1 you need to remove the evaporator cover and look at the coils 

take a picture of the frost pattern on the evaporator coils and post it here

Edited by Osayi
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, Osayi said:

@Helper1 you need to remove the evaporator cover and look at the coils 

take a picture of the frost pattern on the evaporator coils and post it here

Thanks again for the guidance. I never got a chance to pull the evaporator cover, but the repair guy showed up today and swapped out the compressor and said it was definitely a bad compressor. He removed the old compressor, installed a new one, vacuumed the system, refilled it, and went on his way. I asked about a software update since I've seen that mentioned in the LG documentation and he said it is not required. Any idea if this is true? The model of the new compressor is:
FLS075LANA

The old compressor was:
FLB075LANA

Any idea if this new compressor definitely required a software update? What would the issues cause, or symptoms be if it does not have the proper software update completed?

15 minutes ago, Helper1 said:

Thanks again for the guidance. I never got a chance to pull the evaporator cover, but the repair guy showed up today and swapped out the compressor and said it was definitely a bad compressor. He removed the old compressor, installed a new one, vacuumed the system, refilled it, and went on his way. I asked about a software update since I've seen that mentioned in the LG documentation and he said it is not required. Any idea if this is true? The model of the new compressor is:
FLS075LANA

The old compressor was:
FLB075LANA

Any idea if this new compressor definitely required a software update? What would the issues cause, or symptoms be if it does not have the proper software update completed?

Adding to my last post, it seems like the new compressor is possibly just an exact replacement of the old one, so maybe it doesn't require the software update? Is this a new compressor of the exact same technology and doomed to fail again? I was hoping I would have received some type of updated compressor so it would not fail, but maybe I didn't get so lucky. Anyone know based on that compressor model info? Seems like if that is the case, its just a matter of time before I'm in the same boat again in the future.

5 hours ago, Helper1 said:

FLS075LANA

This is a  universal compressor and needs software update in most cases. Will need a model number to confirm if this the correct replacement compressor.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 6:41 PM, Vance R said:

This is a  universal compressor and needs software update in most cases. Will need a model number to confirm if this the correct replacement compressor.

The fridge model was one that was included in the class action lawsuit, the model is:
LSXS26326S

Old Compressor was:
FLB075LANA

New Compressor is:
FLS075LANA

From what I was told on another forum this is the new updated compressor and a universal model. Also that the software should be updated.

The repair man told me he does not update the software and they run fine and it is not needed from his experience. Although I can see all over the LG training service manuals that this model compressor recommends the software upgrade.

If the software is not updated should I expect it to prematurely fail?  Do you think I should call back and try to ask them to come update the software?

4 hours ago, Helper1 said:

If the software is not updated should I expect it to prematurely fail?  Do you think I should call back and try to ask them to come update the software?

This is a hard one, the failures of the compressor are due more to design and quality issues than software. There are 8 versions of this model and the first 3 sub over to the universal compressor.

20 hours ago, Vance R said:

This is a hard one, the failures of the compressor are due more to design and quality issues than software. There are 8 versions of this model and the first 3 sub over to the universal compressor.

I'm monitoring the fridge and freezer temps separately. With the default set to 37F Fridge, and 0F Freezer, my temperatures are as follows:

Fridge:
-Goes between 33F-39F steadily on the hour every hour

Freezer:
-Goes between 5F and -7F

So both sides swing about 10+/- degrees in their cycles.

Is that normal? Seems reasonable. No odd noises or anything. So maybe I'll be ok without the software update?

2 hours ago, Helper1 said:

So maybe I'll be ok without the software update?

Probably, but will not be as enregy efficient as it should be.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vance R said:

Probably, but will not be as enregy efficient as it should be.

I think the update is also supposed to limit piston movement and prevent the compressor from self-destructing, but I don't remember where I read that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terry Carmen said:

I think the update is also supposed to limit piston movement and prevent the compressor from self-destructing, but I don't remember where I read that.

I remember reading this also, but most of the linear failures are mechanical. Exhaust valve wear, intake valve that warps or crackes. The piston over travels when there is a leak or restriction. The compressor overheats when there is a lowside leak because air is sucked into the system and highside is way too high.

• Like 1