Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 28 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 28 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Washer 90 series Model 110. 26912690--need help with aftermarket motor coupler installation

Lin

I bought an aftermarket motor coupler off ebay that is manufactured by Supco.  Replacement part number is 285753 (WITHOUT the 'A" on the end).  I got the one without the metal insert, to match the original part. I read on a repair blog that the metal insert can round off the transmission shaft, as it will not break as intended. The plastic part is designed to break, if necessary, to protect the transmission, which is a costlier repair.

I'm finding it impossible to slide the part on either shafts. I would have to literally hammer it on and I worry it will break or never come off.

Is it supposed to be that tight a fit? Does it not slide on easily because this isn't a genuine Sears/Whirlpool replacement part (which was more than triple the cost)? Does the rusty looking shaft look like its rounded? The part doesn't slide on the other shiny shaft either though. Looking for advice

Photos shows one end of the plastic part on the very tip of one shaft, but not on it, and the other photos show each of the shafts and the replacement part. 

Thank you for any advice.

Kenmore washer rusty shaft photo collage.JPG

Kenmore washer shiny shaft n pkg photo collage.JPG

Both halves of the coupler normally need to be tapped/hammered onto the respective shafts, motor and transmission, even those without the metal center insert.  Use a socket of suitable size to fit between the fingers to hammer on it to avoid damaging the coupler.  The surface of both halves need to be flush with the ends of the shafts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lin said:

Is it supposed to be that tight a fit?

Yes, they drive on with a hammer. Can use a deep socket and hammer, make sure it ends up flush with the shaft.

• Like 1

I notice in your picture that you are trying to put it on the pump end of your motor 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evaappliance said:

I notice in your picture that you are trying to put it on the pump end of your motor

He sure is, the coupler isn't going to fit on the pump side of the motor!!!!

• Like 2