Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 12 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 12 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bosch Dishwasher "Add Salt / Rinse Aid" Error

Coolhandluc
Go to solution Solved by Coolhandluc,

I found a similar thread here that indicated the control module in the back/right bottom of the unit had gone bad and wondering if this is the likely culprit for my model? Details below:

Bosch SHXM78W55N/01 (Super Silence Plus 42 dBa). Purchased in 2017. No issues previously but suddenly stopped functioning. "Add Salt" and "Rinse Aid" continuously blink on control panel. The On/Off button will beep but doesn't do anything. No other buttons (cycle selection, etc) are functional. A hard reset cannot be performed because none of the buttons work. I've reset power at the breaker numerous times. Talked to Bosch and the lady on the phone (not a technician) indicated her system says it could be a "sensor". Can't get someone out here until much later in January and would love to have it fixed sooner since we're dealing with a newborn here.  

The other thread indicated the purchased their part from PartsDr website for the exact same issue, but their links aren't applicable to my model. I found this power control unit for my model on their site. Does anyone know if this is what I need to correct this problem? Looks relatively easy to replace once I pull the dishwasher from the cabinet. 

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you all. 

Thank you - unfortunately Bosch tried to have me do that but the start button doesn't function at all. In fact, none of the buttons do anything except the "On/Off" button still makes an audible beep though it doesn't actually turn the unit on or off. So I don't believe I'm able to force a reset. 

It's very similar to this: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Closing this out for anyone who has a similar issue in the future. I linked another thread above that is related. 

My Bosch dishwasher required a new Main Board (Power Control Unit on back right where cord connects) and Display Board (the component w/ function buttons in the door). The likely culprit was a 'brown out' or power event that essentially ruined the boards. I plan to install a whole home surge protector.

Symptoms: Dishwasher abruptly stopped functioning and only flashed "Add Salt" and "Rinse Aid" repeatedly on display. None of the buttons functioned so the unit could not be reset and I could not pull error codes. Turning on/off at the breaker had no effect.