Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 03 August 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, August 3 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Old Whirlpool LA5300s spins and drains poorly

ccaissie

I replaced the coupling a few years ago, and Ithink it was a problem with a complete failure of the machine.

This is odd, not draining completely, and occasionally coming up to speed spin.  if I cycle the final spin a few times it will come up to speed and complete the load.

I love when things break completely, and am not happy with intermittent problems...  Any ideas?

Model LA5300s

S# c71842373

Thanks so much

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ccaissie

• evaappliance

• Nathaniel Peterson

Check drain pump and adjacent hoses and if possible spin basket while pump to tub hose disconnected for socks e.t.c. unplug first and have shop vac / towels ready. If any capacitors in area stay clear and dry and don't touch unless you discharge with resistor. If nothing found if it has capacitor discharge and remove one lead and test on micro farads making sure your meter is reading the correct symbol for micro farads.

Will be careful....I believe the slow spin issue is from a worn clutch...my years as a mechanic give me this impression.

I have a clutch assembly to install during the next couple rainy days.  I shall look for blockages, tho I have seen a good flow at times....

Thanks, will post my results asap.

Replaced the clutch.  now spins up at the final phase.  i also might have an issue with low water flow for inse...will r&r hoses to increase cold water flow for rinse...

• 6 months later...
ccaissie

Over the last few months this issue has not resolved.

I think the pump is worn and not getting the water out before the timer completes. 

Is there a waterlevel sensor that decides when to spin it up to maximum speed?  If I repeatedly cycle the last spin. I get poor water flow out, and slow spin, pumping it in a bucket to watch the flow.  After 2-3 slow spin cycles the waterlevel is low enough (3-4 gallons pumped).  Then it will spin up just fine for the final 3-4 minutes.

So does remaining water keep it from spinning at high speed? I'm going to replace the pump, yes?  After 30 years of farm dirt and mechanic grit, there's probably no vanes left on the impeller.

ccaissie

Oh, by the way...I douldn't see much wear on the old clutch...when i replaced it i was somewhat unconvinced that the old clutch was bad.  i noted the two different spring tensions and installed the identical ones......

A good pump should empty the tub in less than a minute on high spin , if it doesn’t something is either partially blocking the hose or the pump is bad ,  

• 2 months later...
ccaissie

Replaced pump, first test with a moderate load drained poorly....had to recycle the spin and then it was good.  

I haven't checked for blockage....When i blow into the drain hose, it seems unobtructed, but I guess the next step is to run a wire or other device in to see if there's blockage.  How else?

Is there a relationship with the water level sensor?  I.e. does the water level dictate how fast the spin is?  If the tub is full, it spins slowly... then when near empty it revs up?   This seems to be the way it operates.

OR, does the water level affect the timing somehow?

ccaissie
1 minute ago, ccaissie said:

Replaced pump, first test with a moderate load drained poorly....had to recycle the spin and then it was good.  

I haven't checked for blockage....When i blow into the drain hose, it seems unobtructed, but I guess the next step is to run a wire or other device in to see if there's blockage.  How else?

Is there a relationship with the water level sensor?  I.e. does the water level dictate how fast the spin is?  If the tub is full, it spins slowly... then when near empty it revs up?   This seems to be the way it operates.

OR, does the water level affect the timing somehow?

I also repalced the drain hose...

On 3/11/2024 at 8:51 PM, ccaissie said:

So does remaining water keep it from spinning at high speed?

yes

3 hours ago, ccaissie said:

Is there a relationship with the water level sensor?  I.e. does the water level dictate how fast the spin is? 

nope , all in the mechanics of it ,  why ever the water is there mechanically it will not spin fast till it is gone. 

• 3 weeks later...
ccaissie

How do I disassemble the tub to check for blockage...it seems to e only thing left that I didn't check.

Still drains slowly and then won't spin or pump the water out.