Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool top load washer model WTW500W3 keeps getting out of balance

Laundry Lady

Laundry Lady

My Whilrpool top loader will often violently slam around like the load is completely out of balance (but everything is pretty evenly distributed when I stop the washer to check).  Obviously something has probably worn out, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

4 hours ago, Laundry Lady said:

My Whilrpool top loader will often violently slam around like the load is completely out of balance (but everything is pretty evenly distributed when I stop the washer to check).  Obviously something has probably worn out, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

You'll have to check the shocks and the weight distribution bricks. Could also be bearing on outer tub. Any noise while in spin?

There's no noise when spinning.  We will check the other two items you mentioned and see what we can find.  Thank you!!

Push down on the tub and let go , if it bounces then you have bad suspension rods , it should go down and go back into place. No buoyancy.

W11130362 there is the part number for the rods if you need it 

• Like 1

In case you didn't do this yet, I found it to be harder than it looks on YouTube and online... had to really lift each rod to get the top to snap in correctly... just be aware.

3 hours ago, dfphoto said:

In case you didn't do this yet, I found it to be harder than it looks on YouTube and online... had to really lift each rod to get the top to snap in correctly... just be aware.

That's true it's better with two people I always struggle on the Whirlpool top load shocks. I'd rather take apart a front loader and replace those instead. 

agree but I've only done one machine... I have preface, I have had thumb surgery on both thumbs so they are fused and the strength in my thumbs is probably 1/4 of what it was... I can't really hold a bottle of beer that's how messed up it is... 

Anyway, I used a pair of locking pliers to grab but rubber gloves also help... 2 people would make this easier for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful not to bend the new rods when installing them.

• 2 months later...
Laundry Lady

So we did replace the shocks on the Whirlpool Top loader and that did not fix our problem.  It did dampen the problem slightly as one of the old shocks was slightly sprung (for lack of a better word).  But, the machine still gets off balance and the tub bangs on the right side of the machine (not with every, but definitely when the load is towels and sheets).  I don't know where to go from here.

6 hours ago, dfphoto said:

transmission

Specifically what about the transmission?  I currently have the same issue which I've stepped away from for a few days. We normally have two washers so it's doable to have just one for a while. 

I have a moulded plastic tool case that's just right to place under the tub to balance it on and therefore take the tension off the rods. 

The transmission could be wearing out the bearings in the bottom of the tub check for anything under the tub oil or slight water... the tub could be out of round, you could have too much clothes, the transmission could have a problem and is not agitating correctly and the clothes get bunched up on one side over filling with clothes is a big deal I've been noticing lately. grab the inner tub and see if it wiggles or has play grab the side and try to lift up if you hear or feel some clicking/play compare with the other machine.

Edited by dfphoto