Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers.
      As part of this workshop, we'll talk through a couple of case studies troubleshooting computer-controlled appliances. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Timer not advancing

TimerTime

Old Maytag DG410 gas clothes dryer

Dryer works fine in timed cycle regular and delicate heat setting.

Timer doesn't advance in auto dry permanent press and auto dry normal cycles, normal and delicate heat 

The burner turns on and dries the clothes.

Which part needs to be changed to get timer working?

Thank you for your assistance.

I'm no expert but it seems like the timer is is the part that has failed.  I don't think there are any parts on the timer that are practical to try replacing to fix it but rather just replace the timer as a whole.  They are quite expensive new. I see some for 1/10th the price used on eBay.  

Again, I'm not a professional but I think my solution is reasonable.

16 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

I'm no expert but it seems like the timer is is the part that has failed.  I don't think there are any parts on the timer that are practical to try replacing to fix it but rather just replace the timer as a whole.  They are quite expensive new. I see some for 1/10th the price used on eBay.  

Again, I'm not a professional but I think my solution is reasonable.

I am inclined to agree with your assessment.

The part number for that timer appears to be: WP305448

46 minutes ago, OJ44 said:

If your Maytag DG410 gas clothes dryer is not advancing the timer in the auto dry cycles but is working fine in the timed cycle, there could be an issue with the cycling thermostat or the timer itself.

Interesting.  I hadn't paid enough attention to the original question to catch that it was only auto dry that did not advance. I just read a little about how auto dry works by comparing incoming air temp and exhaust temperature. Also the article suggested dryness could be sensed by detecting humidity of the exhaust. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two things on this , is the clothes getting dry in one cycle on timed ? If so check the operating thermostat, very common for it to be accurate on the temperature but not send power to the timer motor in the auto cycle. If they are not getting dry in one cycle check the vent for proper airflow. When these dryers advance on timed but not on auto it is almost never the timer itself !

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:22 AM, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

I just read a little about how auto dry works by comparing incoming air temp and exhaust temperature. Also the article suggested dryness could be sensed by detecting humidity of the exhaust.

There is no technology in this dryer that does that; this one is very simple, but tricky if all one knows is computer controlled appliances. This old technology uses ohms law to take advantage of how parallel loads operate in a circuit.

27 minutes ago, evaappliance said:

Two things on this , is the clothes getting dry in one cycle on timed ? If so check the operating thermostat, very common for it to be accurate on the temperature but not send power to the timer motor in the auto cycle. If they are not getting dry in one cycle check the vent for proper airflow. When these dryers advance on timed but not on auto it is almost never the timer itself !

What you are checking for here is to make sure the dryer heat is cycling on and off by the cycling thermostat. If the heat shuts down but the cycling thermostat isn't opening, that's abnormal operation; it might be cycling on the hi-limit due to lack of air flow; it might also be the gas coils. As @evaappliancesays, it doesn't sound like a timer issue to me either.

• Like 1