Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

GE Arctica Profile PTS25LBMARWW Frig at 60 , freezer 15 and making ice

Wordlady
Go to solution Solved by Wordlady,

GE Arctica Profile top freezer. Worked great until late Christmas Day. A couple of casseroles still hot to the touch underneath were put on the top shelf frig by family member. Frig never recovered temperature from shock, even after removing casseroles to the deck freezer (i.e. snow). Consistently reads 58-60 degrees. Discovered freezer consistently read 15 degrees. Still making ice just fine. All food removed from unit.
After much reading, here is what I know and don’t know:

1. I don’t hear what I’ll call a blower going on and off like I usually hear.

2. Switched out thermometer with one in separate freezer and temps correlate.

3. Suspect something with defrost system or some fan or damper.  I will check those with DH’s help after writing this.  

4. Worst case scenario is main control board. Am certain DH won’t want to put that kind of $$ into this 20+ year old refrig.

5. At first we weren’t going to attempt repair, but refrigerator shopping is a nightmare, and I don’t want my frig to wash windows. 1. Top freezer, 2. make ice or not, 3. large capacity because we rarely eat out and we feed friends, family 4. Last more than 8-10 years!

Have loved this refrig, any help greatly appreciated! Will post results of checking out defrost, etc. this afternoon. Thank you!

First check evap fan.  Check evap for frost. Check dampener for proper operation. Check for frost in return vent/dampener assembly.

Thank you, Kendall. Before pulling out the refrig to get to the access panel I discovered frost coming out the freezer vents into the freezer. After pulling out, DH removed an access panel and vacuum dust out from something called the formed condenser assembly. The attached fan was moving freely.  We can’t seem to access any coils to check them. Will look up how to access the parts you suggested and check them out tomorrow. Thanks for your prompt answer! Will post what we find. 

• Solution

After all the frost had melted, I dried everything out in the freezer (and on the floor). My husband plugged it in just to see what would happen. It started running, and about 3 hours later the refrig was at 40 degrees! It has since lowered to 35. Freezer is good, too. Don’t know what miracle happened! I will continuing to monitor it closely before and have just a few item in the unit for a few days before calling it good.  Thank you again!

On 12/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, Wordlady said:

After all the frost had melted, I dried everything out in the freezer (and on the floor). My husband plugged it in just to see what would happen. It started running, and about 3 hours later the refrig was at 40 degrees! It has since lowered to 35. Freezer is good, too. Don’t know what miracle happened! I will continuing to monitor it closely before and have just a few item in the unit for a few days before calling it good.  Thank you again!

If it's working fine now it sounds like you may have a defrost issue. Keep checking for frost on the walls of the freezer.

a 20 year old refridge.

glad it works now

please update us about it after a while

• 2 weeks later...

Sound's like you have a defrost issue, the issue will come back if the board, thermistors, or heater is bad. 

• Like 1

Defrosting temporarily fixes a defrost problem but it will be back in n a week or so if the underlying issue is not resolved. 

• Like 1