Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG LSE4613ST Electric Range, not holding oven temperature

senoiasummer

I am troubleshooting an (approximately) two year old LG Range for the following problem.

When I set the oven to Bake, 350, the oven (seems to) preheat normally and and after a couple of minutes tells me its at temperature.    However, if I use a couple of meat thermometer probes (hung vertically, one in the back left and one in the front right, both about mid oven height wise and not touching the racks) they read around 260.   Of course, this is all degrees F.  In addition, my wife assures me that the temperature is low as well because it took at lot of extra time to cook the post-Christmas blueberry muffins and biscuits as well.   I checked it out on Convection Bake as well and the temps were still off, but not by as much, maybe 40 degrees.

I removed the Oven Temp Sensor and ohmed it out at room temp and it was within spec.   Oddly (to me anyway) this oven doesn't have a lower element, just a "convection element" and a "broil element".   The ohmage on them both are within spec.   I also ohmed the convection fan motor on low and high speed and they both were within spec.  

The only other thing I can think of is that the sensor bridge circuit on the control board has gone bad, but this doesn't seem likely, nor do I have a schematic to try and figure out how to test it.

I am contemplating replacing the temp sensor on the thought that maybe it is ok at room temperature, but out at higher temperatures.

Please let me know of other thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

SS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senoiasummer

• ServiceTech_Daniel

• Budget Appliance Repair

• Nathaniel Peterson

Well, after looking further, there are no control boards available for this model, not New, not refurbished, not on ebay, ..... nothing.    The unit was manufactured in January 2021, so less than 3 years old.

Is this just an LG thing that I should be pissed at (not supporting your products), or is it industry wide for the appliance industry?

SS

I'm no professinal but I think it's reasonable to replace the temperature sensor even though it tests fine at room temperature it may change when hot.  No reason to pay the $60 + as many sources have it for much less.  I'm in Northeastern Pennsylvania and I use McCombs Supply in Lancaster which is usually two day USPS shipping.  

They are also on eBay as Supplystuf with one F.  They are the first result for me.

I think jumpering the wire would also allow the temperature to rise past what you have acheived and therefore qualify that the sensor needs to be replaced.  Theoretically this would keep the heat on constanly so obviously you would not want to just let it run away. I don't know for sure but I would suspect there would be another safety device that would cut power in the event of an overheat situation which could lead to replacing that as well.

Again, not a professional but figured I'd offer what I have since nobody else replied.

I would check the bake element. Most likely that's open. Never heard of and oven without one. You most likely have a hidden bake element. Should be able to access from rear of oven behind a metal panel or by taking one of the sides apart and access there. I don't have access to the schematic or service manual so I can't tell you for sure where it is. 

19 hours ago, Nathaniel Peterson said:

Never heard of and oven without one. You most likely have a hidden bake element.

I've never heard of one with a bake element also - but I looked it up yesterday and in fact the parts breakdown only shows the broil and convection elements on this one.

senoiasummer
On 1/2/2024 at 7:55 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

I've never heard of one with a bake element also - but I looked it up yesterday and in fact the parts breakdown only shows the broil and convection elements on this one.

Thanks for backing me up on this one, William!!   Although I am a DIYer, I had enough sense to pull the manuals on this, and as I mentioned before, both the broil and convection elements ohm out good.    I am getting a new sensor today and will install that.   Since there are no control boards available for this model anymore (that I can find), if that doesn't work, I am out of luck unless I can find someone to repair the control board to the component level.   In any case, this will be the last LG product that I ever purchase.   Does anyone in the industry have a good reputation for supporting their products by keeping parts available for a minimum amount out time, say maybe at least 5 years?

SS

Where did you see that the control boards were no longer available? I pulled your model up on sears parts direct and they had them in stock, and part supplier marcone had 100's of them in stock as well . 

I would check your sensor, as stated above , room temp may check out good , but go out of spec once it gets hotter. 

senoiasummer
On 1/4/2024 at 9:04 AM, ServiceTech_Daniel said:

Where did you see that the control boards were no longer available? I pulled your model up on sears parts direct and they had them in stock, and part supplier marcone had 100's of them in stock as well . 

I would check your sensor, as stated above , room temp may check out good , but go out of spec once it gets hotter. 

I replaced the temperature sensor with no improvement.  

As far as the part being available, see below.   I you are seeing something else or if there is a cross to a replacement that you are aware of, I would love to understand where/how/what.

The part number in the LG repair manual for the control board is EBR80595606.    When I look it up on Sears parts direct either by that number or by model number using the exploded diagram this is what I get.  What am I missing here?

image.png.5ebd9c7ad71f00ecdb179ffbcddc7f16.png

This is what Marcone shows me.   When I try to look it up by model number on Marcone, the website errors out.

image.thumb.png.a9acb95816733feec3a416cfc9cda00d.png

A couple things. 

1. I also see that control board part number EBR80595606 available in many forms many places.  Sears parts direct has it and no mention of it not being made anymore or unavailable.  Just putting the number into Google shows many results. I suspect when you initially looked for it you had entered something in error such as a part on the control board; no way to know now but it's clearly available. 

2. I went back and read your original message, more carefully and I have a theory. I think your oven may be working just fine.  Your original message says you hung a couple of meat probes in the oven and had low temp readings.  My thought is a meat probe may not be able to read ambient air temperature but rather relies on the full contact it would have being probed into meat. 

You also said your wife confirmed cooler temperatures because the muffins took longer to bake as well as the biscuits.  The fact that something else could have been different with the muffins and biscuits could have biased your wife to the idea the oven is malfunctioning.  Maybe the batter or dough was colder than normal. Maybe an too much liquid. Coupled with potentially the wrong style temperature guage; which they also could be faulty, you may have just convinced yourself something was wrong with the oven. 

Maybe the probes are read by an electronic device that is inaccurate. 

I think you really need to order a mechanical oven temperature guage which is going to be much more reliable for what you're measuring.  I've posted a screenshot of one. For some reason the Amazon listing shows it's battery operated, it's certainly not. 

Hope that helps 

Screenshot_20240108-024243.png

Screenshot_20240108-024836.png

Also I would guess Marcone is not for the public. Quickly looking I didn't even find a place to search for parts. 

I just thought of something else too.

I had just copy and pasted the part number for the control board into Sears parts direct website and it returned the item showing in my screenshot. Which is showing a different part number. I didn't notice that till now because it shows what should be the part. I went to this Sears website to try to duplicate what you got. If you type in your model, search, and select your model which ends is ST you get a page where you can see that various part diagrams which point you to a number which is on the list below.  That item in that list does show as you say. The difference is that by knowing the part number you want and entering that into Sears website it automatically changes the number to what I would assume is the superseded part; but again it doesn't specifically say that on the old part number or on the new one. 

With all that being said, I'm still banking on the idea that nothing is actually wrong and that it's just the wrong type of temperature gauge to use. 

14 hours ago, senoiasummer said:

The part number in the LG repair manual for the control board is EBR80595606

That control board is probably not available anymore because they stopped making it and substituted it with EBR80595604 . Same control board, but updated. 

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/4n5xiuj25b-003204/lg-lse4613st-00-electric-range-parts

There is the break down with all the parts needed for any repair . 

5 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

Also I would guess Marcone is not for the public

Unfortuantly not . You have to be a servicer to set up a account in order to see the break down's and make any orders

@ServiceTech_Daniel

Do you suppose my theory of using meat probes may not be reading accurately?  

Would you agree that the manual oven thermometer would be a more accurate reading? 

2 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

Do you suppose my theory of using meat probes may not be reading accurately? 

I personally wouldn't go by a meat probe . I use a temperature thermal gun you can buy at harbor freight 

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

I will stick a cast iron skillet in the oven, preheat it to 350 and once its out of preheat , use my thermal gun and take a surface temp of the cast iron skillet . Hasn't failed me yet :D 

2 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

Would you agree that the manual oven thermometer would be a more accurate reading?

Yes i would agree , using a oven thermometer would be better

4 minutes ago, ServiceTech_Daniel said:

I personally wouldn't go by a meat probe . I use a temperature thermal gun you can buy at harbor freight 

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

I will stick a cast iron skillet in the oven, preheat it to 350 and once its out of preheat , use my thermal gun and take a surface temp of the cast iron skillet . Hasn't failed me yet :D 

Yes i would agree , using a oven thermometer would be better

The cast iron pan and themal gun is a great option as well. Better than my idea because it indicates the actual temperature of the cooking vessel. Or if they don't have the thermal gun but do have the oven thermometer they could place that in the pan to get the best result with what they have.

Hopefully this person did just get confirmation bias and there's not actually anything wrong. 

I'm guilty of it at times and use it as a learning experiance that you have to step through troubleshooting from the beginning no matter how mundane it seems.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

I'm guilty of it at times and use it as a learning experiance that you have to step through troubleshooting from the beginning no matter how mundane it seems.

I've been at this for 20 of my 45 years and i still have to step back sometimes and just start from the beginning . So i completely agree!