Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Refrigerator compressor ”top” broke

Fridgeguy7
Go to solution Solved by Budget Appliance Repair,

Fridgeguy7

Hello,

I have a situation with my fridge, where the plastic top/cover of the compressor of my fridge (shown in the images attached) broke off when I touched it.

The plastic has deteriorated significantly and breaks apart from even the smallest force.

I have no knowledge of fridges whatsoever, so my question regarding this topic is, is this a big deal? -After looking up the compressor, the plastic at the top doesn’t seem to come stock with the  compressor, so I don’t know of the importance of said plastic top. 

If this plastic does serve some minor-to-important role, I would be very glad to hear of it. Thanks!

B871CCB4-EDA8-416D-91FB-474FBB1F1E00.jpeg

A8389A4E-AE62-476A-AFFD-58F8FB9E3650.jpeg

F3AB4CFF-2DB7-48A3-BCE1-12B9B020F3B8.jpeg

ABF4B58A-978E-44E6-B41D-4DF7A61DCA79.jpeg

• Solution

That isn't a part of the compressor - it is a separate part.

It's the evaporator condensation drip pan to catch the water that comes off the evaporator when the refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle.

The water comes out the white plastic tube just above the pan.

A new drip pan will be listed in the parts breakdown but I can't help you any further without a model number.

If you don't replace this part you will have water leaking onto your floor behind the refrigerator every 8 hours or so when it goes into a defrost cycle.

• Like 1

@Budget Appliance Repair Do these drip pans still use a thermal paste applied to the top of the compressor/bottom of the drip pan? It's been probably 15 years since i have replaced one lol.  if so @Fridgeguy7 you might want to pick up a tube of thermal paste , i don't know if the new drip pan will come with any if it's needed .

@ServiceTech_Daniel I'm pretty sure the new drip pan doesn't come with thermal paste - a very small tube of any of the manufactures thermal paste is outrageously expensive.

It's been a very long time since I've had to replace one - I believe I've been able to salvage the old thermal paste on the one or two that I've ever had to deal with.

Non appliance manufacturer thermal paste is really inexpensive now.  I'm no scientist but I'd bet there's no negative difference using computer thermal paste. It's nearly a cheap as banannas.

6 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

Non appliance manufacturer thermal paste is really inexpensive now

Good to know and I'm sure this would be OK - this isn't a supper critical electrical connection - just a heat thermal transfer from the compressor to the plastic drip pan to evaporate the condensate water in the pan.

7 hours ago, Dr. Horshenschwartz said:

Non appliance manufacturer thermal paste is really inexpensive now.  I'm no scientist but I'd bet there's no negative difference using computer thermal paste. It's nearly a cheap as banannas

As i stated above , it's been probably 15 years since i had to do a job like this .. but good to know , i'll have to pick up some computer thermal paste! 

Fridgeguy7

@Budget Appliance Repair I appreciate the very thorough answer you gave me!

Regarding the thermal paste @ServiceTech_Daniel and @Dr. Horshenschwartz it’s also good to know that, I happen to have computer thermal paste lying around already, so it’s more than perfect, that I can get the job done with just that.

Thank you all for your help!