Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool Gold GFE461LVS Bake feature not available.

ChrisJohnston80

ChrisJohnston80

Back story is I had one 110V leg of my service start going out a few days ago. Power company came out and found the issue in the transformer and fixed it. A day or two went by before I attempted to use my oven to bake anything. Thank goodness it was just a can of biscuits. About 8 minutes into my preheated 350 degree oven turned my biscuits a nice shade of black. I also got the message that a fault had been detected, push start and try again. Or something very similar to that message. I pushed start and the message came right back each time I tried it. I cancelled the bake cycle and tried to restart the cycle and received the message Feature Not Available. Quick searches suggested unplugging or turning off the breaker for anywhere from one minute to 10 minutes. I tried both (up to several hours) and got the same results (minus the burnt biscuits) about 8 minutes after the oven preheated to 350.

At this point, I’m trying to determine if there’s any other simple repairs or resets that I can try to revive my oven. Or is my control board shot and in need of replacement? This oven came with my house 12 years ago, and it’s been a good one, but I don’t want to dump money into attempting a repair that may not fix jt or buy parts that cost over half as much as a new oven will cost. I like the idea of repairing things, and have done many repairs to appliances with help from this forum. But I have to weigh the cost and time of repair against buying new. I like to bake stuff in my oven, so I can’t be too long without one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

You need to have someone (Or yourself) check the voltage going to the range. Since the original problem was a electrical issue at the transformer, it may have caused other issues. 

You need to get a meter and check for 220 at the terminal block . 

L1 to L2 220 vac 

L1 to neutral 110

L2 to neutral 110 

If the voltage isn't correct, then there is a issue with your wall receptacle, wiring, or breaker . I would check there before i say it's the control , only because the original issue was a electrical issue , as i stated above. 

If your meter has a lowZ function it will do away with any ghost voltage , and that will help give you a more accurate reading as it puts a electrical load on the measurement. 

Inaccurate voltage can cause our appliances to do strange thing's . 

• Like 1

ChrisJohnston80

Following up to Daniel. I got around to pulling the stove back out this morning so I could test the voltage at the terminal block. I got the expected readings (220V) across L1 to L2 and the expected (110V) from L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral. Full disclosure, none of the meters I had available to me had a low impedance/lowZ function.

Unless another suggestion comes in soon, I’ve almost resigned myself to the fact that I’ll be getting a new oven. Thank you for your help to this point Daniel. 

i have had the feature not available and it was awlays to door switch .. try unplugging it.