Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

KitchenAid Refrigerator KRFF507ESS01 not maintaining temperature

wedan33
Go to solution Solved by wedan33,

I’ve been having issues with the KitchenAid refrigerator model KRFF507ESS01 we inherited since moving into our home in May 2022.  I’ve had the seemingly common problem of the refrigerator evaporator completely freezing over and causing the refrigerator compartment not to cool.  The thermistor has been repositioned as described in the tech advisory sheet, but I still end up having to fully disassemble and defrost the evaporator every 4-6 months.

A couple weeks ago, the icemaker stopped producing ice.  I ran all diagnostic codes, and everything appears to be checking out normal.  The unit is receiving water as it should.  No indication of the normal refrigerator evaporator freeze-up.  I put old-school analog thermometers in both the refrigerator and freezer compartments, and discovered that both were significantly over their set temperatures – refrigerator is at ~40 degrees F (set at 33 degrees F) and the freezer is at ~18 to 20 degrees F (set at -5 degrees F).  With the freezer temp that much higher than it should be, I’m guessing the issue is there, with the icemaker and refrigerator issues occurring due to not getting cold enough air from the freezer.

As stated, diagnostic codes are all coming back good.  I can hear the freezer evaporator fan running when I open the door.  Suggestions on where to look/try next?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wedan33

• Budget Appliance Repair

Disclaimer:  I'm just a do-it-yourself person, I don't repair appliances professionally.  I fix everything that needs to be fixed.

Offering what I can in the event nobody else does.

First off I would consider the ice maker a separate issue at this point.  That could be a few things.

Back to the fridge and freezer misbehaving. 

You can do all sorts of tests by unplugging wires and testing for voltage and other things.  I think a better first thing to do is to feel the copper lines coming off the compressor. If the compressor is working one line is going to be warm or hot and the other will be quite cold. Somewhere on this site there is a post about this, as I recall it was written by the owner of this website.  I just looked quickly and I don't remember where it's at.

You said you can hear the evaporator fan run when you close the doors or drawer.  Are you sure it's the evaporator fan and not the condensor fan; in short you need to be sure both fans are running. 

I recently obtained an inverter-controlled refrigerator for the first time.  Yours is also an inverter style. There's pleanty of videos and suggestions that it's the inverter.  For me, I wanted to be sure, and it took digging into the evaporator fan area and realizing that fan was stuck on a little piece of a plastic bag; that little piece that hangs off most plastic shopping bags. The refrigerator works great now.

I would also advise getting an electronic thermometer for a refrigerator / freezer.  On Amazon there is a set of two for less than $10. delivered to your door.  It will show you the current temp and the historically high and low temps.  Be sure to reset it once it gets down to a low temp so that you get accurate details.

image.png.61b7a4df951bd73292057cca801ecae9.png

Thanks for the advice.  Last night, I pulled the frig out and confirmed that the condensor fan was running, and that the lines were hot/cold as you described.  Using the diagnostic code system, I confirmed that I could HEAR both the refrigerator and freezer evaporator fans (definitely not confused with the condensor fan).  However, I noticed that the evaporation dry was bone dry - dusty and everything - which surprised me.  I'd assume there be at least some evidence of moisture if the defrost cycles were working properly.  So my plan, when I can hopefully get some time this weekend, is to pull both cabinets apart to be able to see the evaporators, document frost patterns and any build-up, confirm the evaporator fans are operating, confirm there are no drainage tube blockages, and run a manual defrost cycle to see if I get water in the evaporation tray.  I'll post any results.  Any other suggestions or recommendations?

@wedan33 Unless you catch it right after or only shortly after a defrost you usually won't see any water in the condensation drip pan - that's the whole point, the heat from the condenser being pulled over the condenser and compress and across the drip pan area evaporates the condensate pretty quickly after a defrost as if it's working properly and no air leaks or doors open for an extended period of time the condensate in the pan is very small amount/thin layer in the pan which evaporates quickly.

I'll think on it some more and try to come back with more suggestions but I think the digital thermometer I suggested could help because it will show you just how low the temperature gets in the each area before it warms up and what temperature it warms to, that would be valuable trouble shooting information in my mind. Example my newly acquired used unit shows the temp dropping below freezing in the fridge but then settled back to what it's set for which I think is 37. So the below freezing temp happens when the evap fan is running. 

My best guess right now is your evap fan is intermittent failing perhaps by a tiny piece of a plastic bag as mine was. I didn't have to replace anything. 

Well, I thought I had a suspect, but it doesn't seem to be the solution.  I took apart the freezer cabinet and found an ice ball in the upper right corner above the evaporator (see pics - before thaw, after thaw, and frosted over after running for a couple hours).  I thawed it out and hoped this would get the freezer cooling.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.  I purchased the battery powered thermometers as suggested, and I'm only getting ~32 degrees in the freezer and ~36 degrees in the refrigerator.

I thought I recalled seeing a forum post somewhere about this, but I can't find it.  I'm stumped again - not sure what to try next.

20240121_122009[1].jpg

20240121_122021[1].jpg

20240121_123820[1].jpg

20240121_190829[1].jpg

Looks to me like you have sealed system problem - low on refrigerant.

The last picture, after you defrosted the ice ball and let it run for awhile, the complete evaporator should have a light frost over the complete evaporator.   The cooling is only taking place at the first few inches of the evaporator which indicates a low charge/leak.

Depending on the build date, (serial number would tell this and it is usually on the model/serial# tag), it might be under warranty - since you don't have purchase receipt it would have to go by the build date of the unit, (don't tell warranty that you didn't purchase it just say you don't remember where and don't have a receipt).   Being a KitchenAid they usually have a longer warranty on the sealed system - maybe 1 to 5 years parts and labor 6 to 10 years parts only.

Found your owners manual(Page 39) Warranty 1 to 5 years full parts and labor for the sealed system, 6 to 10 years sealed system - parts only.

https://c.searspartsdirect.com/doc/1507129L

Thank you for the advice William.  I wouldn't have thought to try and make it a warranty claim, so I called KitchenAid and set up a service appointment for Friday.  I'll post the diagnosis and results when I get them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

So here's the (hopefully) resolution to the issue:

The KitchenAid-directed repairman came out and diagnosed it as a sealed service problem with low refrigerant - as diagnosed by William.  He wasn't able to get the frost coat on either the refrigerator or freezer evaporator.  The system as designed will prioritize the refrigerator compartment - hence, the ability to get cooling (albeit, not as low as set) in the fridge, but not the freezer.  Also, the obvious cause of the icemaker not working.  He ordered a new refrigerator evaporator and compressor (common issues on these models apparently), installed, and everything is back working.  Parts were covered under the KitchenAid warranty, so with diagnosis and labor, I am out $539 - not ideal, but much better than a new appliance.  Hopefully we're good to go.

Couple things to note.  The "ice ball" in the freezer component is common and, basically, it should be there.  Not indicative of a problem in and of itself.  Also, as said in previous posts, it's absolutely worth it to inquire with KitchenAid as to whether or not you might still be within warranty....saved me quite a bit.

19 hours ago, wedan33 said:

The "ice ball" in the freezer component is common and, basically, it should be there. 

Who/What gives you the idea that "The ice Ball" is common and should be there.   It shouldn't - if all is properly working it should not grow to be an "Ice Ball" around the evaporator inlet, a little more build up then the thin ice frosting over the complete evaporator but it should never grow to what you show in your pictures in normal operation.