Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool WRT519SZDW02 refrigerator, moisture dripping off bottom of freezer door gasket

soulweeper

soulweeper

Whirlpool refrigerator, WRT519SZDW02, have been noticing water dripping off bottom of freezer door gasket, onto the top of refrigerator door even, the last few weeks. Keep forgetting to post, as it's the secondary fridge in the garage, and it doesn't always leave drops of water on top of the fridge door, but the few times I've checked when it hasn't, it still has moisture in the folds of the gasket, if you will. Seems to only be at the bottom of the gasket, but I'm assuming because cold descends, and it's likely just not sealing well, that it's why it's only at the bottom, but I always come here, rather than just assumes, haha. The gasket looks good, for whatever it's worth, and it doesn't get used like the in house fridge, but anyway.

Thanks in advance!

soulweeper

I might add there is no frost build up in the freezer, or any indicator that I can see, of anything else wrong, just this moisture dropping off the gasket. it's about 5 years old, and appears in excellent shape too, just thought I'd mention that.

soulweeper

Another observation I just made.......went out and checked it just now, and without opening the freezer, I could see drops of water on top of the gasket for the fridge, which of course could simply be dripping off the freezer door gasket, but when I opened the fridge door, it seemed like that whole strip between the fridge and freezer was moist, so can't help wonder if the cold air is getting past the gasket for the fridge door. Both gaskets 'appear' to be tight. I'm just confused.

Usually this only happens in real humid places , back in the good ol days there use to be a low wattage heater on the mullion between the freezer and fridge to keep moisture from forming, but I don’t see one on this one .  For this to happen just now has anything changed recently to make it way more humid where it is located ?  Not sure where you are located but is the temperature in the garage way colder recently?  If the temp in the garage gets and stay below 40 degrees or so for an extended period of time the freezer will start to warm up and probably thaw.  This is a couple of possibilities, either of these things would mean nothing is wrong with the fridge, in would be the environment it is in.  It’s a good starting point.

• Like 1

There is a heat loop inside the cabinet between the freezer and the fresh food section. You can unplug the condenser fan and it should get warm on that mullion. If it does not the copper lines is to far back and the moisture will form. if it does not get warm the unit is not repairable, hopefully it is under warrranty and you can call the tech line. If it does get warm there is warm air hitting cold air somewhere. I would take a good look at the gasket. 

soulweeper
5 hours ago, evaappliance said:

Usually this only happens in real humid places , back in the good ol days there use to be a low wattage heater on the mullion between the freezer and fridge to keep moisture from forming, but I don’t see one on this one .  For this to happen just now has anything changed recently to make it way more humid where it is located ?  Not sure where you are located but is the temperature in the garage way colder recently?  If the temp in the garage gets and stay below 40 degrees or so for an extended period of time the freezer will start to warm up and probably thaw.  This is a couple of possibilities, either of these things would mean nothing is wrong with the fridge, in would be the environment it is in.  It’s a good starting point.

Thanks for the reply! I'm in Northern California. We are in the rainy season, if that matters. We have a had a few nights in the thirties, but not sure how cold the garage gets. It definitely doesn't stay below 40 for any extended period.

soulweeper
4 hours ago, Smcvaugh said:

There is a heat loop inside the cabinet between the freezer and the fresh food section. You can unplug the condenser fan and it should get warm on that mullion. If it does not the copper lines is to far back and the moisture will form. if it does not get warm the unit is not repairable, hopefully it is under warrranty and you can call the tech line. If it does get warm there is warm air hitting cold air somewhere. I would take a good look at the gasket. 

Thank you for the reply as well. It's not under warranty, it's 5 or 6 years old. Where is the condenser fan, out of curiosity? The gasket looks good, and sure looks like it's touching evenly. I know it wouldn't take much, but it all looks brand new, and not dirty, worn out....nothing like that.