Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Dyna-Glo EG7500DGP not heating well

FreddyK

This may be outside the scope of the forum, but I have a garage heater Dyna-Glo EG7500DGP that is not heating my garage like it used to be.  It appears that one of the sides of the heater is out, but it's all one heating element.  Not sure if it's a control board or if the heating element needs to be replaced. I used a laser thermal reader, the bottom rod only reads 70, the next 4 read 150 and the top one is 300 F.  Is this possibly a controller board or the heating element.  It's setup to run a standard thermostat with a relay turning on the unit to interface the 220V.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FreddyK

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I'm just a DIY guy.  I fix everything I have by myself; sometimes with the help of a fourm like this one.

My first concern is the relay and the thermostat.  If I understand correctly this is using a thermostat intended to control 120 Volts but with the relay it has been able to control 220V - Thats suspect #1 for me.  I'm not saying it's wrong but I feel it has a chance of being the problem.  Without seeing it in detail I could not suggest how to troubleshoot that.

#2. Have you tested the wires suppplying the 220V to ensure that there's both legs of 120v working.  I'm not sure if the heating element could possibly heat some but not all as you describe.  For me I would approach that with trial and error.  If you have 220V then it somewhat points back to the thermostat and relay but you imply it turns on half way; so without details of that setup its hard to say but I somewhat lean towards the thermostat is working and it could be that one leg of the 220v is out.  Just guessing.  

Does the heating element connect electrically from two different directions which explains how only half comes on?  I can't see any detain in the manual as it's just a poor resolution drawing.  

Maybe this will get you started.

both posts are reading 220ac, the thermostat connection is a simple relay to power the internal switch.  I switched the unit back to manual and that doesn't make a difference, units show thermal readings as outlined above.  switch is set to 7500w.  I'm pretty sure the heating unit needs to be replaced, but not sure where I can get one.  Dino's website doesn't seem to have any replacement part that I am able to order.

I suspect there are no replacements available for the heating element.  I didn't easily find it.  I suggest buying a new one for $229 at home depot or find an electric clothes dryer to run for heat.