Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Difficulty removing glass cooktop from Frigidaire electric range

Michael Boehm

Michael Boehm

Hello, 

I'm trying to remove and replace the glass cooktop from a Frigidaire electric range. I've removed the screws and detached the elements from the cooktop but I cannot remove the cooktop itself. All the videos I see simply have the technician lift up the cooktop and it comes away clean. In my case, the cooktop is attached to the range with some hinging mechanism that I cannot detach.  I'll try to get some photos uploaded.  

This is a 1999 model range, by the way. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Boehm

You should post the model number from the range itself, not from any paperwork you may have.

I just watched a general video about it.  It shows removing screws under the front edge of the top, lifting the top up and propping with a stick, remove the burners from the top, then it seems like it's key to lower the top just right to allow it to disengage from the rear raised panel area.  

Now I just watch another that showed taking a panel off of the rear of the range at the top which you can now see the tabs that are attached to the top and protrude through the raised back panel and the person is shown bending those tabs flat to fit trhough the slot or slit they fit into.  He bends them flat with just his fingers.  I bet that is what is holding you up.