Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

5Yr OLD Whirlpool SbyS: Fridge stops cooling but powering down for 30 minutes makes it run again. What is Happening??

DIY_PM1

I have a 5-year-old, higher-end KitchenAid side-by-side (KRSC503ESS01). The symptom is recently the fridge stops cooling (while the freezer maintains perfect function all the time). The only way to fix refrigerator to get it cooling again is to turn off the power to the unit for 15-30 minutes. Then, once the power is returned the unit works seamlessly for somewhere between 1-4 days, after that it stops again. Cycle repeats endlessly until I'm now going out of my mind :). 

One repair person I called replaced the main control board, but the symptom still exists.... What is going on??? Anyone ever seen this? Can anyone help suggest what needs to be fixed?... I hate to ditch the unit as it looks almost like new... 

Thank you for any advice you can provide! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DIY_PM1

• evaappliance

• pwikoff

You might have a DC load that failed.  I've seen a faulty fan cause similar symptoms.  Running a service mode and confirming all loads are functional is a good test.  I had a bad ice fan that was loading down and causing very erratic problems from not running at all to temp issues in both compartments 

On 2/3/2024 at 10:53 PM, DIY_PM1 said:

I have a 5-year-old, higher-end KitchenAid side-by-side (KRSC503ESS01). The symptom is recently the fridge stops cooling (while the freezer maintains perfect function all the time). The only way to fix refrigerator to get it cooling again is to turn off the power to the unit for 15-30 minutes. Then, once the power is returned the unit works seamlessly for somewhere between 1-4 days, after that it stops again. Cycle repeats endlessly until I'm now going out of my mind :). 

One repair person I called replaced the main control board, but the symptom still exists.... What is going on??? Anyone ever seen this? Can anyone help suggest what needs to be fixed?... I hate to ditch the unit as it looks almost like new... 

Thank you for any advice you can provide! 

There's a warm refrigerator troubleshooting post at the top of this forum. 

Prime suspect in my opinion is evaporator fan not getting power, or stuck. Could be lots of things unfortunately. Can take a lot of troubleshooting. 

If you can get access to see it you can prove it's not running, but it doesn't answer why. Why does a 30 minute power down make it work?  That's complicated as well.

Thanks for these suggestions. I have run the diagnostic mode to no avail... All loads OK... The evap fans also run when you activate them from the diagnostic mode...  I really think it is a defrost related issue... As it seems to "freeze" after a certain number of hours of use... Then the 30 minute or so off period seems to unfreeze whatever is causing the issue. I think I will try to take it apart again this weekend to see what I can see around the coils.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:53 PM, DIY_PM1 said:

5-year-old, higher-end KitchenAid

When you buy a new refrigerator buy a lower end side by side.   These high end refrigerators are disasters and will be a money pit from this point forward 

16 hours ago, evaappliance said:

When you buy a new refrigerator buy a lower end side by side.   These high end refrigerators are disasters and will be a money pit from this point forward 

Because they are inverter style?