Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 03 August 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, August 3 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kitchenaid Dishwasher not filling with water

fatherfigure4life

fatherfigure4life

I have a Kitchenaid KDFE 104DWHO Dishwasher that started not cleaning dishes well. It did not seem to have any water, so I dumped a pitcher of water into the unit and it started working again. Quick google suggested a bad inlet/fill valve. Replaced valve without any change. I then decided to be more scientific. Tested the voltage at the fill solenoid and got about 16VAC without load and 0.02 with solenoid connected (solenoid functions when bench tested with 120VAC). I then replaced the Control board without any change. I have opened the wiring loom and inspected all the wires finding nothing of concern. Tested: fill valve wiring, float switch and wiring, door latch switch and wiring, and replaced the turbidity sensor. 

Dishwash will function if I manually open the door and pour in water. Seems like the machine believes that it has water when it does not, as the pump and heater still function while  the machine has no water. 

Help!!! I am sure that the solution is obvious, but it baffles me. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nathaniel Peterson

• fatherfigure4life

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, fatherfigure4life said:

I have a Kitchenaid KDFE 104DWHO Dishwasher that started not cleaning dishes well. It did not seem to have any water, so I dumped a pitcher of water into the unit and it started working again. Quick google suggested a bad inlet/fill valve. Replaced valve without any change. I then decided to be more scientific. Tested the voltage at the fill solenoid and got about 16VAC without load and 0.02 with solenoid connected (solenoid functions when bench tested with 120VAC). I then replaced the Control board without any change. I have opened the wiring loom and inspected all the wires finding nothing of concern. Tested: fill valve wiring, float switch and wiring, door latch switch and wiring, and replaced the turbidity sensor. 

Dishwash will function if I manually open the door and pour in water. Seems like the machine believes that it has water when it does not, as the pump and heater still function while  the machine has no water. 

Help!!! I am sure that the solution is obvious, but it baffles me. 

Make sure if it has a float switch on the bottom of the tub on right side that it's not stuck in the up position.

6 minutes ago, Nathaniel Peterson said:

Make sure if it has a float switch on the bottom of the tub on right side that it's not stuck in the up position.

Also pull off the kick plate and make sure there no water under the foam disc / overflow switch (different than float switch) 

fatherfigure4life
2 hours ago, Nathaniel Peterson said:

Also pull off the kick plate and make sure there no water under the foam disc / overflow switch (different than float switch) 

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if this model is equipped with an overflow switch, or at least I am not able to find it. Any suggestion on locating it?

6 hours ago, fatherfigure4life said:

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if this model is equipped with an overflow switch, or at least I am not able to find it. Any suggestion on locating it?

If it does it'll be on a plastic tray that goes across the front of the dishwasher right behind the kick plate. If it's there you can't miss it. 

fatherfigure4life
7 hours ago, Nathaniel Peterson said:

If it does it'll be on a plastic tray that goes across the front of the dishwasher right behind the kick plate. If it's there you can't miss it. 

Thank you for the clarification. No, this unit is not equipped with an overflow tray. Any other thoughts on the cause?  The only other thing I can think of would be some kind of poor connection at the turbidity sensor (I have not continuity-tested that harness yet).