Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Frigidaire window air conditioner FAA068P7A - how to remove case

Kenmore88

Hi,

I just bought a Frigidaire window A/C FAA068P7A. I was installing the top rail when I dropped one of the 3/8" screws. It fell through the ventilation grate into the unit. I tilted the unit to try to get the screw to fall out through one of the holes in the bottom, but this didn't work.

The manual has a special note saying 'FOR SAFETY REASONS, ALL FOUR (4) SCREWS MUST BE SECURELY FASTENED.' So I thought I better get that screw.

For better or worse, I decided to try to remove the metal cover. I removed all the screws, but the front of the cover seems to go under the plastic face plate on the front of the unit. I couldn't see an obvious way to remove that face plate.

There were a couple of screws on the top of the unit towards the front which I had not removed - they didn't seem connected to anything inside. I decided to go ahead and remove them, and when I did, a short metal bar fell down inside the unit.

I seem to really have screwed things up here. Can anybody tell me how to remove the case so I can recover the lost screw and put that bar back in place?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

EDIT: OK, so one thing this apprentice Samurai sometimes lacks is patience.

After posting this, I took 'one last look' at the front panel. I discovered that once I removed the air filter, lo and behold, there were some screws securing the plastic face onto the unit. And I kept looking and found more. Removed all of them, and got the front piece off, recovered the screw, and secured the metal bar back in place. So far so good.

Sorry for the false alarm. If there were a way to delete this post, I would have done so. But I'm really glad this place is here - it helped me repair my washing machine a few months ago.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, RegUS_PatOff!

As you'll see in the edit to my original post, I figured out how to disassemble the unit.

Thanks again for the reply, and sorry for the false alarm!

Archived