Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Trane heat pump BWR742E100A0

phlattus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The compressor is hermetic so there is nothing short of replacing it that will solve the problem.  Short to ground or winding to winding makes no difference. 

Forgive the question, how did you determine it is shorted (or did someone tell you it was shorted).  I have techs with "years" of experience that misdiagnose compressors as bad only to find something else very simple and very stupid wrong - that can easily be fixed.  Sometimes its through ignorance, other times stupidity, and too many times for greed - you make more money selling a new unit versus fixing the simple fix or even repairing if you work on commission.

If you were TOLD by someone else it was shorted, I can walk you through how to check for yourself and PROVE its status.

Let us know.

If it is shorted to ground the question is why? Most electrical problems actually occur due to system problems (mostly from improper installation).

Wires disconnected at comp. terminals. Continuity from terminals to shell. Replacing the outdoor unit is probably the cure but i,m not sure how to size it. Equates to 3.5 ton.But what SEER? ( I'm new at this }

The law states 13 SEER, however with the ban on R22 units the EPA has proposed you may have to do a complete replacement.

Bobice is correct the minimum SEER rating is 13 and next year there is a phase out of R22 units.  You might be best served to replace the entire system with 410A.  Even if you stay with R22 you will have to most likely change the indoor coil to match ratings of your higher efficiency condensor or else you will have mismatched equipment  and not have the efficiency you want.

If you are within 5 year warranty for the compressor, you can get the part for free; however, labor and associated materials and costs will come to you.  The success of the replacement will depend on how well the clean up of the current system is done and the workmanship invested in the replacement.  Alot depends on how bad the burnout was.

Hey, Thanks for all the help. I am an appliance service tech. trying to move on to bigger and better things after a car accident. Two years out of the loop and am not going to retrain to fix complete crap coming out of the appliance industry. I have 30 years of experience working on residential/light commercial refrigerated and gas products. I totaly understand superheat/subcooling/flue gas anyl./ manifold press. ect.. The best knowledge doesent always com from the knowlagable. Only the experienced can correct what the knowlagable has created. I know I can do this job I just dont have the experience. It seems the best best solution for my friend is to replace the entire system upgrading to a more efficent unit. Plus it has a burn out condition anyway. The system is electric strip back up ( no gas ) has electric heat gotten more efficent since 1986?. Advice needed. Thanks

[user=45929]heaterbeater[/user] wrote:

... has electric heat gotten more efficent since 1986?. Advice needed. Thanks

Electric heat is technically 100% efficient, all of the energy goes to heat, no external venting, etc...

The question is, what is the cost per BTU in your area compared to gas or other available heat sources.

You don't mention your area, and why gas (NG, Propane, etc) is not available.

That would be perfect! All heat pump systems should be geothermal. But my 18v DeWalt just cant get that hole drilled. Fairly mild winters here in Oregon's Willamette Valley and this job needs to get done soon. Any input on Copelands Scroll compressor? Any advice on what not to install?

Archived