LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

What can I use an eprom programmer for and can I use it to repair MCU's and CPLD's etc?

pane77

Hello,

I am new to electronics but I do fix appliances to earn $$ on the side which is why I'd like to take this up to the next level. I come across customers who need their PCB or PCBs repaired. I've been successful with some (simple stuff like capacitors, resistors, etc) but I have no way of testing them other than to re install back into appliance (refridge, dryer, washer, etc...). Can I purchase a good eprom programmer that does MCUs and CPLDs, find good ones, upload them into the programmer and fix any future bad one I come across?  Also, how do I test the IC?  Buy an actual IC tester?  If so, which one is relatively cheap ($1k or less) that will do the job? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!!!!

• 7 months later...

Let me take a slice at your question.  The full answer is a long one.  I will say that many modern electronic control boards and peripherals certainly contain micro processors and eeproms.  Reading and re-writing the data contents of such devices varies from simple (EEPROM) to almost impossible for programs stored in the main controller-processor.  The two devices require specific hardware and in some cases cannot be unlocked by the consumer.  To go a little further, each honorable appliance has a unique set of programs inside.  You would require a file of programs for each model you encounter AND the ability to re-write the data as necessary- next to impossible unless you are a dedicated board remanufacturer.  This is not a job for a journeyman in electronics.  And, the idividual programmed IC's are not available as spare parts.  Other more common ic's are available from electronics suppliers but these do not contain programmed data.

That said, I encourage you to work with the more common problems like loose connections, burned traces, bad soldering and obviously faulty parts on the boards.  That way you can eliminate all but a few really ugly situations that arise from faulty processors and corrupted memory.  Since many brands actually use the same interior controls, keeping good notes on what fails on which board will pay dividends.  Good hunting.

Ghost

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are some guys on planetlaundry dot com that could do point you in the right direction, as I have seen it discussed over there. I don't know if just anyone can join (you may need a CLA membership). It is something commercial and coin laundries are interested in because small changes in the wash cycle can reduce long term costs. I believe besides a machine that interfaces with the epprom and a computer, you'd need to know the programming language it was done in, and be able to compile it.