Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Profile SxS PSDS3YGXCFSS: Freezer cool, fridge not cool enough

Bright Head

As the title says, freezer reaches the temperature set (actually, almost reaches it - which's fine) but fridge won't go below 6C (42.8F) event though the temperature is set to 1C (33.8).

Did a factory test through the LCD by pushing Home + Crushed + Water and all fans work. Lights also work inside the fridge and freezer.

Any recommendations to what to look for? Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bright Head

• axtine1

• cmlewis1272

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check for frost or ice on the back wall of the freezer. You may have a defrost problem or a defrost drain issue. If no ice or frost check for air flow into the fresh food section. The damper may be defective.

Thanks axtine1. There's no ice on the back wall of freezer, unless you want me to remove the back wall to look at the freezer evaporator. I'll check the damper and post back here with my findings. 

Actually, looks like this model doesn't have a damper. It has what they call the "ClimateKeeper2" which's a separated evaporator for the fridge. The only damper is in one of the drawers which's called "custom cool" mode. That drawer is the only place that actually gets air from the freezer compartment.

Anyone with experience on this model? 

Well, Check the simple stuff first. Light staying on excreta. Then check the thermistors in the fridge section. There is a possibility they could be lying to the board. You can check them from the board. Then check the evaporator  by removing the cover making sure you don't have any sealed system issues. 

Thanks. To check the thermistors from the main control board, can the fridge be plugged in or should I unplugged it?

Unplug the fridge. You will need the tech sheet. It should give you the resistance readings (ohms) for the temperature of the thermistor. The tech sheet should also have a wiring diagram that will show the correct plug on the board for the thermistors. Do the test with the plug disconnected from the board.

Is the evaporator fan running? Do you have air flow?

Yes, both freezer and fresh food evaporators fans are running. The freezer one runs from time to time. The fresh food one seems to run 24/7 and only stops when I open the fridge door. However, both freezer and fridge never reach the temperatures set. 

The evaporators don't seem to be clogged with ice. They are clean.

Compressor runs from time to time, but even though the fridge doesn't reach the temperature the compressor doesn't keep running full time to try to achieve it. 

The temperature fluctuations are read by the fridge LCD screen so I thought the thermistors are actually working. 

I have three leads so far:

1. Replace the main control board. However, visually it seems perfect. No clicks also. 

2. Replace the inverter: But then again, if the compressor is turning on and off as it should I don't think the problem could be the inverter. 

3. Replace the thermistors: But if they are reporting temperatures I don't think they could be bad. 

Factory tests using the LCD, shows all fans work fine. 

Which lead would you try first based on my issues?

Thanks again for your help. 

You said that the evaporators were clean. There should be a frost  on them. If not and the compressor is running you may have a sealed system leak. Low on Freon.

Sorry, by "clean" I meant not clogged with ice everywhere. They both have frost. However, I noticed the fridge one seems to go to a defrost cycle very fast. In another words, it starts to get frost and then thaw again (all this in about one hour).

Also, if the problem is a sealed system leak shouldn't both evaporators have issues?