Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Maytag Neptune FAV6800AWW Washer Loud Squeal, Burnt Rubber Smell

Mara

I recently got a Maytag Neptune washer secondhand, around a year old. Hooked it up at my house and ran a test cycle, and partway through it started squealing very high and loud. After a moment of this, it started to smell of burnt rubber, so I turned it off. Drained it, checked if there was anything stuck in it from the previous owner or anything like that, and tried again. Same thing happened, only this time the belt had apparently had enough, and it broke. Snapped in one spot, and left rubber fuzz all over the inside of the machine when I opened it up.

So I ordered a new belt (after reading up in here about finding the right one), waited impatiently for it to get here, and tonight put that new one on the machine. We tried rotating by hand first to check, and found that it spun fine in the counter clockwise direction, but seizes up completely in the clockwise direction. Not really knowing much about this (just inexperienced DIY hacks), we did a good bit of forum reading, and there was one note about one way bearings only spinning in one direction, so thought hey, maybe it's supposed to be like that, and cautiously turned it on. It went through a diagnostic test cycle just fine, but I suspect that's because it only spins in the one direction for that. When we tried it on "normal" the same thing happened, high pitched squeal and smell of rubber, so we turned it off quickly. A spin-only cycle to drain the water was uneventful, but again, that only spins the one direction.

Any ideas on what the issue is, or how to better pinpoint it, and/or what to do about it?

Maybe way older than she thinks?????

If someone sold it to her and said it was only a year old, they flat out lied!!!

That machine hasn't been produced for over 12-15 years.

Most likely problem is a bad clutch, may also have frozen up spin bearings, bad seal which would leak into clutch and cause it to fail.

• Like 1

you got that right willie !!  I remember maytag forcing people to buy those with the money they had to give them from the maytag Neptune frontload lawsuit, like in 03 -04 ish . I just feel bad for people that gets lied to like that .