Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 28 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 28 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Magic Chef refrigerator model MCBC580DBT

cajurican

I need some assistance troubleshooting.  After I have replaced both the TPC relay and the overload relay, the refrigerator did power up and the compressor started, it cooled very well for about 24-30 hours then shut down again.  I have unplugged and let stand overnight then re-plugged, but the compressor will NOT start up again.  The digital display inside does power up and display the current temp inside and the correct pre-set temp of 45 degree temp but compressor will not start.  Any suggestions??  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cajurican

• lvasquez11

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cajurican said:

I need some assistance troubleshooting.  After I have replaced both the TPC relay and the overload relay, the refrigerator did power up and the compressor started, it cooled very well for about 24-30 hours then shut down again.  I have unplugged and let stand overnight then re-plugged, but the compressor will NOT start up again.  The digital display inside does power up and display the current temp inside and the correct pre-set temp of 45 degree temp but compressor will not start.  Any suggestions??  

I failed to mention that I have taken resistance reading between the three pins on the compressor, of 5, 5, 10.  That seems to be good???

Does the fan next to it running. 

Do you a meter to check voltage at compressor if no voltage pull control out n check voltage there. 

Possible bad contact at board

the fan did initially when I initially replace mentioned components but no longer.  Yes, I do have a multimeter, I just checked, no there is no voltage at compressor.  Not sure where to check voltage at "  pull control out n check voltage there"?

Control board is locate on where led is .  Remove screws securing it to ceiling.

locate wire harness diagram at rear of unit to determine wires supplying voltage to fan/compressor.

possible burnt solder connection at rear of board 

my mistake, yes there is power to the compressor, there is power to the control board as well.  I disconnected and reconnected all the ribbon cables on the control board as well to make sure they were making good connection.

Fan n compressor get power from same location. So power at compressor means fan would be also running.

remove board n check for any burnt area at backside of board

double check. Provide pic of wire diagram if u can

OK, there is a burnt solder!  I'm new to this site and can't figure out how to insert pics (wiring diagram & back of board).  Should I re-solder this connection?  Or could there be something else causing it to burn out?

That did the trick!  Hopefully it will runs for years :rolleyes:

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it very much!