Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Maytag 8114P471-60 Slow heating, erratic heating

Chaosmos

I have had this oven for quite some time, and at some point it will need to be replaced, however in the meantime I need to get as much life out of it as I can.  

Symptoms: 

-Very slow coming to temp

-Loses temp quickly when opening the door

-Oven thermometer shows actual temp 20-25 degrees under set temp

-Top element works when broiling, not sure if its coming on during bake. 

-Last batch of cupcakes were burnt on bottom, raw on top (see pic)

Theories:

-Thermostat is working erratically.  Need to figure out how to check. 

-Top element is walking wounded and not working as well as it should be. 

-I have read that there is a control board timer that cycles the top element to keep even heat.  Does this model act in such a way?  

Does anyone have access to the manual or a diagnostic flow chart for this oven?  Or any suggestions as to how to check the theories above?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaosmos

• Hiroshi

• 16345Ed

• evaappliance

It will say "Model No."

should be on door frame or jamb or on drawer frame or jamb. 

Edited by 16345Ed

check the door gasket, make sure it is soft and pliable if not replace itPart number: WPW10162384

Part number: WPW10162384

Worn out hinges can cause the door to not be held shut properly and cause heat damage to a door gasket. Check that the door is being held tightly against the oven by pushing it closed. You should not be able to push it significantly. 

Part number: WP74011140
Part number: 12400043

Part number: 12400043
Part number: WP74011140

Turn the oven on and listen to the relay cycle the heat on and off and observe the bake elements reaction. Element should have an even orange glow. Let it cycle off and on several times and make sure the element stops glowing when you hear the click and starts glowing when it clicks again. If the element stays on when the oven is done calling for heat then you will need a new control board which is discontinued and would have to be rebuilt. If you know how to use a meter the you can test the sensor it should read around 1080-1090 ohms at room temp. If not replace it. Part number: 12001656

Part number: 12001656

The broil element comes on very little on bake.  If the oven is consistently low you can read in the owners manual how to raise the temp or just add a few degrees when you use it. Burning on the bottom and not done on the top can also just be your pans, use short rim shiney pans. Stoves this age were real picky about that .

check the door gasket, make sure it is soft and pliable if not replace itPart number: WPW10162384

I will check this tonight. 

Turn the oven on and listen to the relay cycle the heat on and off and observe the bake elements reaction. Element should have an even orange glow. Let it cycle off and on several times and make sure the element stops glowing when you hear the click and starts glowing when it clicks again. If the element stays on when the oven is done calling for heat then you will need a new control board which is discontinued and would have to be rebuilt. If you know how to use a meter the you can test the sensor it should read around 1080-1090 ohms at room temp. If not replace it. Part number: 12001656

Last night I turned the oven on to the highest temp I could (550, I think).  Here are my observations:

-I could hear the relay clicking as it heated up.

-Bottom element had the even orange glow you mentioned, but it never cycles off. 

-Top element never glowed at all, however I could touch it with a meat thermometer to confirm that it was hot. 

-Whatever the oven temp reported that it thought it was at, the oven thermometer I have reported 80-85 degrees less than that (ie, when the oven said it reached 400, thermometer said it was only at 320).  Eventually the oven caught up to the set temperature, however. 

I found a video showing me how to measure the sensor, so I will be doing that tonight. 

2 hours ago, evaappliance said:

The broil element comes on very little on bake.  If the oven is consistently low you can read in the owners manual how to raise the temp or just add a few degrees when you use it. Burning on the bottom and not done on the top can also just be your pans, use short rim shiney pans. Stoves this age were real picky about that .

We are going to use our stone pans for the next batch, however this is pretty new behavior for this oven to be this bad. 

If the broil element was warm, but not hot enough to contribute to the cooking, it sounds like you may be missing half of the line voltage to the broil element... Most direct route to would be to test the element terminals for 240V during a heat cycle, but this is a dangerous maneuver on a "live" machine... I would want to inspect the wiring to the element, and the terminal block lug that feeds the broil circuit... Unplug it, remove the rear panel and start looking around... you may find an obviously burnt wire or crispy connection at the terminal block without taking any risks.

Maytag Range Diagram - CRE9600CCM.pdf

12 minutes ago, Hiroshi said:

If the broil element was warm, but not hot enough to contribute to the cooking, it sounds like you may be missing half of the line voltage to the broil element... Most direct route to would be to test the element terminals for 240V during a heat cycle, but this is a dangerous maneuver on a "live" machine... I would want to inspect the wiring to the element, and the terminal block lug that feeds the broil circuit... Unplug it, remove the rear panel and start looking around... you may find an obviously burnt wire or crispy connection at the terminal block without taking any risks.

I can check the wiring tonight as well...however, I am not able to access the PDF with my account :(

Other techs who are looking over your symptoms may want to see the diagram and chime in...

8 minutes ago, Hiroshi said:

Other techs who are looking over your symptoms may want to see the diagram and chime in...

Understood.  I will go through my steps tonight and report back. 

So here are my results:

1) Temp sensor measures 1135 ohm, so it's a little high.  High enough to warrant replacement?  

2)  Oven seals also need replacement, that is for sure.  

3) The most concerning part is the terminal for the broil element seems pretty badly burned.  Here's a pic:

Burned Terminal

Temp sensor ok

change your seal and broil element. 

Ensure element connections are tight and snug. Loose connections can cause that type of burning. 

3 hours ago, Chaosmos said:

3) The most concerning part is the terminal for the broil element seems pretty badly burned.  Here's a pic:

Burned Terminal

That is the back of your oven light holder.  Shouldn't mess with the way it bakes.

How long are you pre-heating the oven?  Give it 20-30 mins for fine baking... more than frozen pizzas.  

OK, Broil element is on order and should arrive Thursday.  If that goes well, I will get the seal replaced and report back.  

50 minutes ago, Chaosmos said:

OK, Broil element is on order and should arrive Thursday.  If that goes well, I will get the seal replaced and report back.  

Did you confirm broil element was burned and not the light socket as Micabay mentioned?

On 10/7/2016 at 9:17 AM, Hiroshi said:

Broil element was not burned, but it is not glowing red during the bake preheat like it is supposed to. 

the only time the broil will be on enough to get red is when you put it on the broil setting , it will never get red on bake. even when pre heating.

2 hours ago, evaappliance said:

the only time the broil will be on enough to get red is when you put it on the broil setting , it will never get red on bake. even when pre heating.

Hmm, I was under the impression that it should.  I'll put it on broil here in a minute and see what it does. 

Well looks like the broil element works.  Darn.  Could it really just be the oven seal that would cause such severe temp issues?

Yes.

Having a torn door gasket on your Refrigerator would keep it from maintaining temperature and likely cause some food to freeze because it was laboring to get the fridge compartment to 37 degrees.

The oven is the same in that the burner will have to stay on longer to get the temperature probe to 350 degrees, and the escaping heat will require it to cycle more often- so, it will be laboring to keep near 350- resulting in burned muffins.

I always test ovens with a Taylor mercury thermometer... the cheesy spring loaded ones from China are not accurate enough to be used for calibration. Set the thermometer in the dead center of the oven and let the unit heat for 20-30 minutes before you read the thermometer temp.

Door gasket installed and some improvement has been noted.  May try and replace the hinges as well.