Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Condenser Location-Kelvinator upright freezer

fobicboy

Hi,

I am modifying this Kelvinator upright freezer (model KFU09M2AW0) to operate at a slightly higher temp, warmer than the units warmest thermostat setting.  I need to know where the condensing unit is located, I want to drill a hole in the side to insert a new temperature  probe.    It is not readily obvious where it is.  Probably located behind the rear sheet metal or one or both sides. Does anyone know? 

thanks!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hiroshi

• fobicboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the outside of the cabinet feel warm? If there is not a "static" coil mounted on the back of the machine, then the coil is mingled with the insulation in the sidewalls and top of the cabinet so it can radiate. I wouldn't drill a hole in it... just buy a cheap electromechanical thermostat and mount it where the old one is, then experiment with moving it after you see what temp. the control you bought will maintain in the unit... Making a Keg-Erator?

Hiroshi,

Thanks for the heads up.  I figured the condenser might be on the side. Unfortunately the sides & and back feel warm so it is not clear where the coils are.   I will research an electro-mechanical thermostat. 

Yes, I am making a kegerator of sorts, I plan to keep my beer cold, just not a keg at a time.

I would buy one of these, start by putting the sensor end directly in the path of the air-flow.... Keep a mercury thermometer in the unit, dead center, and shoot for about 39-40 degrees F. 

Part number: WR09X20002

Part number: WR09X20002  13 dollar cold control for the win!

Hiroshi,

I am not going to have a chance to dissect this freezer for another  week .  Based on experiments with another kegerator we put together the temp I am shooting for is  27deg F .  Do you think the controller you recommended will go that low? You mentioned the range of  39-40deg F which implies maybe this device might not allow any temps cooler than 39.  On the warmest setting this current freezer hits about 16deg F which a little to cool.

thanks again for your input....

It should be able to get close... If it is in the direct air flow it will be around 37... if you put it further away from the air flow the unit will have to get colder to satisfy the sensor... it is a 13 dollar risk, once again it will take some experimentation, but I would start with the cheap control and see what temps you can achieve by spacing it different places inside the unit... Placing it at the very top of the compartment will also force it to run colder due to the sinking of the colder air...

27 degrees will potentially freeze everything, unless it has high enough alcohol content to change the freezing temp of the liquid.