Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 25 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      This week, we'll be workshopping some troubleshooting case studies taken from the forums right here at Appliantology. Come ready to walk through some real on-the-job examples, figure why the troubleshoot went the way it did, and think about what could have been done better.
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 25 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Dishwasher GU2700XTSS1 help needed

Ed D

My Whirlpool dishwasher model# GU2700XTSS1  was making a loud noise when washing, so I disassembled it for cleaning.  There was a bunch of olive pits and stuff at the inlet to the chopper shield and the screen at the chopper had a little buildup, all of which came out with a shopvac.  I reassembled it and the noise was still there. 

Within a few more cycles the noise had gotten worse and the dishwasher quit during the wash cycle.  I pushed the cancel/drain button, and it drained.  Then I ran a light wash cycle to rinse.  It was still noisy but finished the load.  It ran the next load, noisily and without cleaning very well, then the most recent load filled and just made a humming noise.  I canceled it and drained it, and when I tried it again, it wouldn't fill, and the clean light was flashing.

With all the noise I decided that it needed the circulation pump and motor assembly and I got the youtube vid downloaded, but I don't know about the flashing light and the total shutdown.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed D

• abaesemann

• johntech

• Budget Appliance Repair

Top Posters In This Topic

When you cleaned it out did you access the chopper? Sounds like that guy may be broken and locking up the motor. It is located in the sump on the left side. When you access the chopper you can turn the motor by hand to make sure it is not locked up.Part number: WP8268383

Part number: WP8268383

Most likely a bad front motor bearing from a leaking main seal, (the main problem point of this motor).  Seal starts weeping and the way the plastic housing that holds the seal is mount to the front of the motor it directs this leaking into the front motor bearing area. 

Most of the times the leaking is so little you never see it on the floor or just light amounts of calcium buildup and maybe calcium lines at very bottom of motor.  The loud sound of the motor is the first indication that there is a problem.

If the motor still runs you can remove all the inner sump parts down to chopper blade and also remove the blade, disconnect the wiring harness to the water valve and activate the door latch by hand, (have to take door apart or have latch strike removed to insert into door latch), then start a cycle.  Just wait until the motor starts - it won't fill with water and blast water all over you because the water valve should be disconnected.  If the motor sounds noisy with no water in sump and no chopper blade then you need a new motor.

Thanks to both.  I didn't remove the chopper assembly, just cleaned it with the shopvac.  I'll check that first.

Replaced the chopper with the part mentioned by Johntech.  Shut off the water, raised the float and tried starting a cycle to check for motor noise, but nothing happens, just the clean light blinking.  What can that be?

34 minutes ago, Ed D said:

raised the float

This tells the control that you are overfull, do not touch this for testing

15 minutes ago, abaesemann said:

This tells the control that you are overfull, do not touch this for testing

OK< Thanks.  I cleared the blinking light by entering heated dry normal, heated dry normal.  Tried a test cycle and it will fill, then hum but doesn't start spraying.  I don't have the tech sheet that should be behind the kickplate.

Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't but seems to be.  I'll do the replacement rather than buy one of the newer "wat  Thanks.er saver" ones.  Those new ones don't clean well.

Yes, that looks like the best deal.  For about $180  I can fix this one.  The new one like it is $800+ and is loaded with features to keep it from being able to clean the dishes.  This one is a craigslist used one I bought in 2014 to replace the new Frigidaire that couldn't get anything clean.  $50 bucks for this one from a craigslist seller, and it's just now giving me a problem.

Thanks.  I'll mark this title as fixed so other readers can look inside to see what y'all told me.