Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Washer drain question

greynold99

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the Samurai Appliantology forum for awhile but thought this the place to ask a question about GE Washers.  More specifically, we bought a GTW180SSJ0WW 4.2 washer last year only to find that the drain hose was a 2-piece design with a solid plastic tube inside the washer that mounted on the external back wall of the washer and the actual flexible drain hose 'fits' into the flexible rubber connector on the back of the washer.  We accidentally moved the washer too close to the wall on the back side of the washer where this connection is made bumping this connection - and it started to leak.  It's only a friction-fit with a flexible-nylon clamp that maintains the fit of the flexible drain hose in the rubber gasket with two machine screws into the washer back side.

By reseating the connection and refastening the screws on the flat-nylon clamp; the drain hose doesn't leak but we can't move the washer back the 1 inch in order to close the bi-fold doors that cover the small laundry closet.

We saw GE has a newer model of our older washer, by the new Model - GTW460ASJ0WW; which looks basically the same but they completely changed the Drain hose connection in the back.  It's now a solid plastic pipe that comes out of a 'recessed' area in the washer's back wall panel and the drain hose CLAMPS onto this piece with a regular drain hose wire-clamp (compression) - no friction fit, no leaking...

I'd like to convert our older washer Drain connection to this type but wondered if someone on the Forum knew if this was possible.

I've already tried using an 8' Eastland Universal replacement Washer Drain hose - which worked wonderful for 6 months - and then the seam welds on the PVC hose started separating.  I discovered that this is a continuing problem.

Reason I mention this is if anyone knows of a better quality replacement drain hose that comes in an 8' length and 1 1/8" connector to the washer pump, I could work with that.  I see some offered by Samsung, Haier & LG for their specific washer drains that 'look' like they might work fine but I can't seem to find whether they come in an 8' length...

Thanks,

greynold99 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greynold99

• Hiroshi

• johntech

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think outside the bun my friend:

Just knock a section out of the drywall so the drain hose will clear, problem solved.

Or just put a 2x4 or what ever size board is appropriate between the washer and the wall to prevent it from moving back and leaking.