Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool WTW4800XQ0 Vertical Modular Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

myagnomen

Our Whirlpool WTW4800XQ0 Vertical Modular Washer is very Noisy During Spin Cycle. It is similar to bearing noise on a car. The noise has been getting louder over the last year and I think it is time to fix it to save my hearing. 

Other than the noise, the washer works fine.

Do you have suggestions for what to look at to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darren412

• Budget Appliance Repair

• myagnomen

• AccApp

Popular Days

Pull washer out towards you and be careful of drain hose. Disconnect drain hose from the house stand pipe drain for washer. Lean the washer back towards the wall carefully and slowly so it rests enough against the wall so you can inspect the underside of the washer. There’s a plastic cage covering the drive belt and cam . Make sure the cam that the belt is driven on is not loose and rubbing on the plastic housing making that noise that you are hearing. If it’s loose try tightening it and see if that was your issue. Usually the washer shuts down when this happens and it is very loose. If not  then it’s most likely sounds as though the outer tub seal has been leaking water onto the drive case bearing and the spin bearing for the drive case is failing. Not a very economical repair for a home owner if that is your issue. Which it sounds like from your description. The parts alone can run you over $200.00 plus your labor. 

Yep, time to throw it out and replace it with another $300-$400 disposable washer!!!!!

If you are handy with tools and mechanically inclined you maybe able to remove the gear case assembly and drill out the spot welds that hold the top case/bearing cover on and replace the bearing, reattach top cover with bolts and install a new tub seal to save the expense of a new gearcase which like Darin said is usually $200 plus for part only.

I've heard of this being done but never attempted it myself, (Personally I don't think these machines are worth that much effort!!!!).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

8 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

(Personally I don't think these machines are worth that much effort!!!!).

+1 to that

I don't either, but they do still put a roast beef on my table every other week with that actuator   :answer:

• Like 1