LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

cooling a garage

grshpr

I'd like to cool my 1 car garage with a window unit.  I only use it a few days a month, but I'd like those days to be comfortable.  I don't know exact dimensions, but it has a 10 foot ceiling and a non-insulated attic.  I live in the southeast where temps are regularly in the 90's with very high humidity.

What size window unit would I need for this?

The smaller units are less than $100 each, but the bigger units increase in price exponentally.  I have two windows, can I use two smaller units and get the same cooling efficiency as a larger unit?

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

under average conditions,and to make rough,simple estimates- we usually consider one ton of refrigeration for 400 sq. ft.-  assuming your garage is 20 x 20, that's 400 sq ft.- you have a high ceiling that is uninsulated,and steady 90's with humidity,so the heatload is large, i would guess at about 1 1/4 tons for your garage- either one 15,000 btu/hr unit, or 2 7,500 btu/hr units will do quite nicely.  if you only work periodically in your garage, go out there the night before you plan to work and turn it/them on a low setting and allow them to bring the humidity down prior to your arrival the next day.

Archived