Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Evaporator Fan Question - Can I Hard Wire It?

MoreBeer

I have an old Frigidaire FRS26LF8CS1 refrigerator and they no longer make the Adaptive Defrost Control Board part #5303918476.  The problem with the board is short cycling the evap fan.  At times it will run correctly although short cycles often (on-off-on-off every 5 seconds or so) which obviously impacts cooling.  My question is, if I can't locate a new board, I was thinking about hard wiring the fan directly to AC so it runs continuously.  If I do this, will it impact the defrost cycle or compartment temps too much and not be a viable fix until I can locate a board?  Thanks!

I've seen a few used ADC boards on Ebay.

I believe they only discontinued them a few months back.

I don't know if I would hard wire that into a defrost timer set up.

Unless you're 100% sure on wiring and operation.

If fan runs during defrost you will have frost accumulation. Water from defrost will be pulled up by fan and then freeze. 

@MoreBeer if you are at all handy with a soldering iron you might want to take the ADC board out of it's case and see if one or more of the capacitors look puffed out on one end and if so replace that capacitor and it could very well fix your board.

About 1 or 2 years ago I fixed one that was doing basically the same as you describe and a bad capacitor on the ADC board is what I found, replaced the capacitor and it worked perfectly.

5 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@MoreBeer if you are at all handy with a soldering iron you might want to take the ADC board out of it's case and see if one or more of the capacitors look puffed out on one end and if so replace that capacitor and it could very well fix your board.

About 1 or 2 years ago I fixed one that was doing basically the same as you describe and a bad capacitor on the ADC board is what I found, replaced the capacitor and it worked perfectly.

I was thinking about pulling the board and looking at it for obvious problems.  If its a bad cap like you say, that's an easy fix.   I'll take a look at it.  Only thing is, with small caps, if bad they don't always puff out and testing them in circuit with a multimeter set to microfarads doesn't work and usually the cap needs to be pulled to test.  Although I can buy a cheap ESR meter which can test caps in circuit.  Or if there's only a small number of caps, I can just write down the values and replace all of them.

Surprised overall that its impossible to find a board.  There's one on eBay although its $200 and its used - pulled from existing equipment.  No way I's pay $200 for that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

if you diagnosed the ADC board as being the problem and you can find a new OEM replacement ADC board , NOT A USED ONE !   or REFURBISHED !  Then give your customer the profitable quote on replacing the ADC board and a  return date for when you get the new board.  If they dont want to fix the fridge for that cost , move on to your next call and collect your service diagnositic call fee.    an old compressor that pulls more amps than it should , can potentialy blow that adc board also FYI.  Especially if its older.  You also have to consider how long the customer can wait when it comes to getting and receiving the shipped product . Theres a several week waiting period in my area for refrigerators because everyone is buying them up and people cant get the proper size fridge they want to fit in the old refrigerators place.  Its crazy.   This ADC board is  NLA  and as much as we like to try and help the customer out , especially with their refrigerators, you will find in time that NLA parts can turn into a labor intensive repair approach and it can become a counter productive situation .  Not only for you but for your customer also.  I wish you luck though no matter what approach you have decided to make brother. 👍

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:51 PM, MoreBeer said:

I have an old Frigidaire FRS26LF8CS1 refrigerator

@darren412 From this being the DIY forum and the way @MoreBeer started this topic, I'm pretty sure this is his own refrigerator that he is trying to fix and save.

@MoreBeer, I'm pretty sure there are only like 2 or 3 capacitors on that little board, (If I remember correctly it was the larger capacitor that I had to replace, the replacement was just a little taller if I remember correctly and it just barely fit the case back together with the slightly taller large capacitor).

4 hours ago, Budget Appliance Repair said:

@darren412 From this being the DIY forum and the way @MoreBeer started this topic, I'm pretty sure this is his own refrigerator that he is trying to fix and save.

@MoreBeer, I'm pretty sure there are only like 2 or 3 capacitors on that little board, (If I remember correctly it was the larger capacitor that I had to replace, the replacement was just a little taller if I remember correctly and it just barely fit the case back together with the slightly taller large capacitor).

Yes, its my fridge.  I'm going to pull the board and replace all the caps.  I'll post the outcome when its done.  I'll also post the values of the caps.  Thanks!

On 9/11/2020 at 6:53 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

thanks for that wake-up call budget.  I understand now that its morebeer's fridge.    Thanks man

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:26 AM, 16345Ed said:

If fan runs during defrost you will have frost accumulation. Water from defrost will be pulled up by fan and then freeze. 

What about replacing cold control, defrost termination and timer with old school analog? Wire fan to shut off during defrost?

I have two  of these ADC boards..new still in unopened package..P/N 241508001... and I think I haz one new in an opened package...Bought them when they were failing left and right, then they came out with the wire harness  ADC kits.....these are about 6-7 years old...

• 3 years later...

how would one look for this capacitor? When i tried looking them up there are multiple options that look very similar. 

@Fourneeds The capacitor on the ADC won't be listed in any parts break down - it's not a part the manufacture sells to be replaced.

This is a board level repair - open the ADC board, find the bad capacitors, (bulged out tops), de-solder old capacitor to remove from board and replace with a new one of the same value.  The capacitor specs will be on the side of the capacitor and you will have to source from an electrical supply house like DigiKey, Mouser or other.

• Like 1