Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Ancient Caloric ESR306-26 only turning on to "clean" function?

eidling

Hi Everyone,

As the subject header states, this is an extremely old oven.  We have a new one on order, but don't expect it for quite a few months, as it is part of a very overdue kitchen re-do.  As you can see, everything is rather cruddy and there is no glass covering the controls.  I should mention that there is no longer the the lever that locks the door that is used when one uses self-cleaning.  The clock does not work.

Here is the latest problem.  When the center dial is turn to approximately between 9 and 6, the oven comes on (fortunately, it will also turn off if we push it in and turn it past that point!). But, the oven goes on even when the oven temperature dial is at zero.  The oven dial does not alter the temperature.  We think it is engaging the "clean" function, because the temperature gets very high. 

The only other thing I understand is, when the dial on the right is turned, the "reset clock" light will light, but if we keep turning it, it goes off again.

I have manually moved the hands of the clock (left hand dial), hoping this might make a difference, but it hasn't.

We have been in this house over 30 years.  The oven was here before us and it owes us nothing, but, if I can get it back to being an oven that turns on and has an adjustable temperature until we get our new over, that would be awesome!  If not, the stove works, we have a microwave and an outdoor grille and we will find a way to make do.

Here is a link to the postings related to this oven that when on 5+years ago, it includes a schematic, and may possibly include some additional useful info.

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer and I wish you all a happy and safe 4th of July!!

1091157190_ovencontrols(1).thumb.jpg.4f2683b3e290918b4896a7feb121ef3e.jpg

The correct setting of the clock for manual operation:

1. Turn the start time knob until it pops out (it should pop out
at the point when it matches the hour time on the clock
2, Set second dial to MAN

if you have already done this then you have some other problem in some part of the range

• Like 1

Thank you for responding! Yes, I did try this, however the start time pops out in the same place regardless of the clock’s hands.

thank you again!

Hi everyone - I am still hoping to hear some thoughts on what else might fix this problem.  I realize there may be no additional thoughts, but thought I would try a repeat post to see.  Thanks again!

Maybe a problem with the contacts in the clock for timed bake and manual bake.

You would need to find the wiring diagram and check the clock contacts.

But you may still have a problem with the oven t-stat.  If you can get the oven to work by bypassing the correct contacts on the clock to make it always manual bake it may take care of all your problem.

Willie - IMG_20210710_0001.jpg.f02f76d6658c0e0ba4a02d73a52ff94f.jpgThanks so much for your answer. I have contact cleaner. I could shut the circuit and clean them all.  If that is what you mean, I will do that!

I also have the schematic, however, I don't know how to read it (!).  I could try to take a good photo of the back of the unit - wiring, etc. - if that would help.  Here is the wiring diagram. Thank you so much for the help you are  offering!!

WOW!!!!  5 years ago spent much time going over this - neglected to look at other post you had linked this time.

Went back and read all that - I give up!!!!!!   Not going to waste anymore time with you on this.

Your timer/clock is broken the shaft that turns from OFF/Manual/Bake time is broke off inside clock.  This is the most likely problem.

I'm having a hard time with the diagram myself and would hate to tell you to jump wires on the clock and have you short something out.

AT YOUR OWN RISK:   Looks like on the back of the clock if you remove the Red wire from terminal #2 and make sure the connector on the end of the wire is safely taped with electrical tape and taped safely to other near by wires to keep it safe. 

Then make a jumper wire to connect terminals #1 and #3 together should put it in a permanent MANUAL MODE.

Good luck - I think it's time for you to do that kitchen remodel, you knew 5 years ago that you were on borrowed time with this one.

Thank you! We are doing the remodel, but it will be months before everything is here and installed.  Just trying to limp along a tiny bit longer!  Thank you again!