Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

110.20722990 Kenmore washer won't drain, multimeter found a continuity error

jimburden

jimburden

My washing machine was fine two weeks ago. Then a big thunderstorm hit, and it immediately stopped draining. The wash and agitate and fill and rinse cycles still worked just fine, and there were no strange mechanical noises...it just quietly stops when the drain cycle activates... so I figured it was probably an electrical problem.

- Changing the temperature, spin speed, load size switches had no effect.
- Trying other cycles (such as "permanent press") had no effect.
- Opening/closing the lid had no effect. (Neither did holding the lid switch lever down with a screwdriver while the lid was open.)

I pulled out the timer and tested it for continuity with a multimeter based off the wiring diagram.

washingmachinediagramwithtests.thumb.jpg.f26b43f7cdb30d0083887cd26fb899b9.jpg

Sure enough, I found an error. First, I made sure to remove the timer right when it was stopped on the faulty drain cycle. Then, I tested every connection on the timer terminals. Every connection was correct, except one: According to the wiring diagram, the tan-blue circuit was supposed to be ON during the "drain hi" cycle, but the multimeter found that it was OFF.

So, naively, I replaced the timer. Same issue with the new timer: no draining, and no continuity on the tan-blue circuit.

Now I'm wondering: What switch do I test next? I'm not sure how to read the wiring diagram. (Or maybe a wire is bad?)

Thanks!

link didn't work I think the centrifugal switch seems to be in that line not 100% Bu wire goes through the centrifugal switch check it out.

Edited by dfphoto

Just because you are holding the lid switch, doesnt mean it's functional.  Do you hear a clear and distinct CLICK when you depress it?   With the control panel open and unit unplugged,   bypass the lid switch with a jumper,  plug unit back in and and then test drain.....

Edited by Econo Appliance
  • Like 1